Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #1

Share |

Procedure for trimming out new construction?

When a new house is built and paint grade trim is being installed, what is the process? Does the contractor buy the primed white trim, paint it the desired color(for arguments sake White) then install after the paint crew is done with the walls. I am replacing alot of the trim in my house and was just wondering how all the trim is done in new construction. Does the trim get sprayed, or painted with a brush?

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #2

Not sure about the painting process, but in new construction, most of the time all the trim would be installed before any painting was done. The painters PROBABLY spray prime the whole place, then roll and brush the paint.

send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Problem: You don't state the contractor's responsibility or actual job requirements.

You see:
"Contractor" is a VERY generic term. There are Excavation Contractors, Foundation Contractors, Painting Contractors, Siding Contractors, Drywall Contractors, Framing Contractors, etc, etc...

.... Usually, Framers/Building Contractors do this;

Frame, sheath, install provided windows, install provided pre-primed trim when the design specs/ or contract state it.

All contractors do what is in their contract. All real business men/women do what is in their contract. If there is more work to be done, that isn't in their contract, that is not their problem, nor their responsibility, because they don't do additional work for free....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-19-2007 at 09:39 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #4

Ok, after that post, If I am "jumping the gun" , I apologize....

After re-reading the OP:

Generally, we, and most other specialized Contractors, GC's, subs, builders, framers, contractors, etc....based on contract or other binding agreement...........install the "provided" PRE-PRIMED Trim.

FWWI: We 99.9% of the time - quote installation for #1 Pre-primed trim for: at least the soffit, fascias, rakes, gable trim, roof-line, etc...

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-19-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #5

I got the impression that the OP was referring to interior trim...
Old 10-19-2007, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by send_it_all View Post
I got the impression that the OP was referring to interior trim...

Yes, I was talking about interior trim. I guess I caused some confusion with my wording. Does the TRIM CARPENTER install the pre primed trim, then the painters come back and actually paint, or is it finish painted then installed?
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:39 PM   #7

Again, in my limited experience with new construction, ( I am a remodeling contractor in Ca.), the trim would be installed first, then painted.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:44 AM   #8
jan

If you're doing it yourself it's paint, install, touch up. In new construction the work is divided between trades.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
Yes, I was talking about interior trim. I guess I caused some confusion with my wording. Does the TRIM CARPENTER install the pre primed trim, then the painters come back and actually paint, or is it finish painted then installed?
Generally the walls are primed, then the interior trim is installed. Painters may sometimes spray primer the walls and the trimwork at the same time.

If the interior calls for painted trimwork, we try to use as much pre-primed trimwork as possible. Everything else is usually Poplar stock. Tho we usually putty and caulk our trim work, 99% of trim carpenters do not include that with their work. The painter usually takes care of the putty, caulk and paint once the trim work is all installed.

It is not a good practice to pre-paint trimwork (prior to install) as it often gets marked with pencils and fingerprinted all over. Additionally, you want to paint after the install to help cover any cut or mitered trim seams, puttied nail holes and caulking.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-20-2007 at 07:26 AM.