DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Problem with garage door side entry

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Chemist1961 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I have a 24X24 pole barn type garage with metal siding. It has a side entry door that I am having a problem with. The threshold is aluminium and is beat up rather badly from taking my troy-bilt tiller through it. I originally built a concrete ramp to the door to prevent this yet it happened anyway, it just took longer for it to happen.
I cannot find anywhere on the threshold where there are screws to hold it in. I am wondering if I will have to replace the whole sill and possibly the door too just to repair the threshold ? Or is it possible that I may just be missing seeing the screw holes ? I'd like to think it's just my eyesight that is the problem.:yes:
My carpentry skills are limited. I am hoping if I take my time, consume a few cups of coffee, and maybe a cigarette or two I can eventually figure the whole thing out. It is not a rush job anyway.

One last thing; Once this door is repaired the tiller will go through the main garage door regardless of how inconveinent it is. As you all may have guessed by now the back door is the one closest to the veggie garden.

Thank You Folks For You Help !

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Is there a rubber seal running across the length of the center of the threshold? Often, the screws to hold the center down to the floor can be found under something like that. Of course, if it was a pre-hung (likely), there will also be screws running vertically up into the jamb on each side.

#3 ·
TC, This door is likely built like mine, one of which has a damaged sill. The sill is normally the bottom frame of a box type construction in which the door is hung. Mine requires complete removal.
If yours is still realtively intact you could try filing or planing it with an autobody file. There are also component inserts which can be bought for some brands. Look on the hinge side of the door where it meets the jamb to see if there is a manufacturers id sticker.:thumbsup:

#6 ·
That sounds good Chemist. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the weatherstripping was attached to the door it's self. It was two small strips of white rubber. They have been missing now for about a year or two. If the garage was heated or attached to the house I would have been more concerned about it.

I've been playing catch up this year. I had an accident 2 years ago which it took me a very long time to recover from. I'm still not 100% but at least I am able now to get caught up on many things I had to ignore.

TC

#7 ·
TC,
If you can physically remove the hinge pins and lay the door on edge, you easily can pop the weather stripping out of it's grooves on the door bottom with a flat screwdriver as a sample and then staple a new one in. These are generally cut into the door bottom and must be seated firmly to reseal. Save the old strip as you will need to match the back pattern. Yours would be referrred to as 2 fin, you can buy up to 5 fin in various patterns, however the new fins will created drag on an uneven threshold...so you want to true up the threshold at the same time. You could post a photo of the door and threshold for some pointers.....:thumbsup: Keep us posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.