Privacy Fence Gate - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Privacy Fence Gate

I am a first time home owner and have recently bought a house in Dallas and need to replace half of an existing fence that is falling over. I have a pool in the backyard so I need to replace A.S.A.P. The existing fence is a very old 6', rigged many times and has wooden posts. I plan on replacing it with 8' board-on-board privacy fence with galvanized posts.

Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams of what a self-latching, self-closing privacy fence gate looks like? I think I can 'wing' it but I would rather have something to look at before building something that only a newbie would build.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Privacy Fence Gate

It is just a regular pedestrian gate with the addition of a self closing device, normally just a large spring loaded hinge. They are available at Lowes and Home Depot.

Advertisement

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Eibwen

Privacy Fence Gate

Check with the local building inpsectors office as to what type of fence is required around a pool. Most have specific codes for pools.

House doors leading to the pool area may need a battery operated alarm/annunciator also.
Very important especially if you have little ones. Child drowned up here a few weeks ago cause she snuck out an unlarmed door and fell into the pool.

Try www.magnalatch.net for the latch... It allows you to put the release point high enough to meet code in most areas.

Neat part is its a zero resistance latch since its triggered by a magnet so you dont have to slam the gate to get it to work. Regular spring gate hinges will work well for the self closing part.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
The Home Doc

Send a message via Yahoo to The Home Doc

Privacy Fence Gate

I agree with the other posters as well. You mentioned something about an 8' fence. Make sure you do your homework before you put that up. Some areas have height restrictions on residential fences that keep you at 6' or below.
The Home Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:36 AM   #5
Kyle Emerick

Rewards Points: 75

Privacy Fence Gate

The Home Doc is right... down here in Southern Cal, the limitation is 6'. Anything over that you need to permit it.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
Eibwen

Privacy Fence Gate

Code around here is minimum four feet for a pool...

I made mine five feet to match up to the neighbrs which I connected too.

The five feet worked out well since it still allows me to reach over the fence to the outside and open the magnalatch from the inside.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #7

Privacy Fence Gate

Thanks for the replies.

My area's code allows me to make the fence as high at 8'. My house is in a block that happens to have an incline so the houses on one side of me(6' fences) can see into my backyard. Most houses with pools in our neighborhood have 8' fences.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
Eibwen

Privacy Fence Gate

I got six foot chain link all around the backyard some of which is the neighbors I have connected to with permission.

If they wanna watch ME do a belly flop......

I can hit the neighbors house with the backsplash!

Dont forget the magnalatch and the door alarms...

Cant be too safe with a pool....
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Privacy Fence Gate

Hi Dallas, I wanted to let you know about http://www.leevalley.com/home.aspx?c=2 they offer free catalogs for hardware, tools, and gardening that have some really neat stuff you don't see everyday, get them all. I like one gate closer they offer that uses an old iron ball for counter weight to close the gate.

Hope this helps.

Kirk

Advertisement

kjwoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote