Pressure Treated Timber - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
DIYer

Rewards Points: 10

Pressure Treated Timber

I was reading elsewhere about an outside project and there was reference to Pressure Treated timber and I'd like to ask the following.

I have almost completed some replacement decking at the back of my property and have used PT timber. I had intended to 'colour' (English spelling) the boards, spindles etc with a Deck paint. The logic was to change the colour slightly and give the decking an early protective covering but I got the feeling that some is advising against this.

Can anyone advise the best course of action?

Advertisement

peterhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Pressure Treated Timber

what parts (pt) limber are you talking about ? what did you replace with (pt) wood

Advertisement

huffanpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Pressure Treated Timber

Yes you can stain Pressure treated wood, BUT it needs to dry out a bit first. Let it set over the summer first and then clean with a washer and (TSP) and (stain) in the Fall.
UFoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pressure Treated Timber

Agreed, it is best to let the material "weather in" for a few months before applying any sort of stain or sealer. Right now the moisture content of the wood is probably incredibly high. After sitting outdoors for some time the moisture content will drop and the greenish color of the treatment will begin to diminish. You'll get better absorbtion of the stain/sealer at that time than you would now.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck paint , decking