Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #1

Share |

prep work for a cathedral ceiling

Howdy from a n00b,
I know future proofing a cathedral ceiling is pretty much impossible, but i'd like to get some insight on other people's cathedral ceilings. My dad has done cathedral ceilings a lot before, but this is going in my house and in my master bedroom.

He's "teaching" me, so I plan on making sure I get it all right when he gets down here for the demo work.

Skylights and recessed lighting are going to be used, but I'm looking for a good, aka cheaper, place to find nice skylights. Veluxusa are supposed to be the best, but thats probably why they cost so much. We'll need the electricallly controlled ones for the blinds and the venting isn't so much useful.

I plan on installing a 30 something inch tv on the outside wall that will be flush with the existing wall. I guess I'll run a cat 5 cable and a coax to there. Also a new plug, so all the wiring remains hidden. I think I'll also install some speakers somewhere just for kicks. I originally thought a 5.1 system would be nice in there, but it is a bedroom. I already have a good tv for movies and whatnots.

This is my first post here and I'm more or less looking for head-ups and suggestions on anything from start to finish. TIA
-smallz

smallcrpt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smallcrpt For This Useful Post:
Spree45 (05-22-2012)
Old 01-16-2007, 07:19 AM   #2

Stick with Velux; thery're the cheapest because they don't leak. Save money elsewhere. Use Ice & Water Shield flashing under the metal step flashing.

Recessed lighting in a sloped ceiling generally looks terrible since the openings are oversized. I usually use miniature spots on tracks or monopods if I can put them somewhere that isn't too obvious.

I try to keep communication and entertainment equipment out of most rooms in my house. None of it is allowed in the living room or dining room. I doubt much of it will use wiring in a few years anyway. I have to deal with enough of that at work.

mighty anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #3

hehe i forgot to mention about the 2 foot flat part we are leaving about the bed, but thats a good heads up for future building about can lights in slopes.

i stopped at hd yesterday and priced out all the materials, came out to be around 1000 bucks, which is pretty feasible, and i'll only have to pay the workers in gin and tonic's all night after.

thanks again
-chris
smallcrpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

run TWO coax lines or even three.

Why? You never know. For me I have a dual tuner dish
receiver that takes two RG6sq coax cables from the dish on the roof. I also have basic analog cable. That means 3 coax. The cat5 is used for phone (Cat5 is not really needed but pretty much the ubiquitous choice now). Run 2 cat5 if you want phone and a wired LAN connection someday.

Also, when I was at home cheapo recently I saw this plastic box that mounts in the wall and has places to connect junction boxes. This will allow you to make all your connections behind a flat panel, in the wall.

I may even get the flat panel now so you can see where the connections go in and locate the wires accordingly.

Last edited by Brik; 01-17-2007 at 07:58 PM. Reason: edited for bad formatting
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote