Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #1

Share |

PreHung Doors and Trim

I am just about to start installing my doors and trim in a basement finish job. There is the concrete floor of the basement,I have not picked out my carpet yet. How high off of the concrete should I install these? 1/2inch? more or less?

I was also curious what other people have used for wood to put in door frames for bifold doors and windows.

JETJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #2

PreHung Doors and Trim

For carpet I've used 1/2 inch. I just cut some scrap 1/2 drywall and put it underneath the door jambs.

As for a bi-fold closet opening, I framed mine with wood, drywalled, then used an MDF trim with baseboards to hide the track and the edges of the door for a clean enclosed look.

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #3

PreHung Doors and Trim

Thanks for the reply, for the closets and windows I am trying to match upstairs which doesnt have drywall. I will try and get picture tonight, but basically the whole "inner frame" of the window and closet doors has wood, then trim around it like normal. So the wood goes right up to the window and to the edge where the trim then goes down. not a window sill though. approx 4 inches in depth.
JETJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #4

PreHung Doors and Trim

1/2 " or 3/4" max which will allow for a cold air return in the room. you don't want the door right down on the floor. it will not let the cold air out of the room.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #5

PreHung Doors and Trim

1/2" is ok if floor is level, if not when you raise the frame on the low side to level you can get quite a bit more than 1/2.
1/2 is max imo as the tuck of the carpet at baseboard and jambs can leave you with gaps. If one side is carpet and the other a different material you will need to adjust a split jamb accordingly
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote