DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

pre hung Masonite interior doors

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  skymaster 
#1 ·
Pawl here,
These are the first pre hung doors ( Masonite ) I have ever hung. Everything is going fine except for the screws in the hinges.I don't know exactly what the jambs are made of but the screws keep turning once they are tight in the hinge and they are barely long enough to attach to the jamb so I have placed a 2 inch screw in one of the 3 holes in each hinge so it bites into the rough opening.The screws even spin in the hinges on the doors so I have packed some toothpicks and carpenters glue in the holes to get it to snug. Am I on the right track with what I am doing? The ones I have hung are fine.I just wonder over time what will happen. I am tempted to put long screws in all of the hinge holes.Is there anything else anyone can recommend.Obviously I cant square up the door with the jamb if the hinge keeps moving? Is this something you guys deal with all the time?

#3 · (Edited)
You are right on my friend. I often use the toothpick and twig method. Homeowners look at me funny when all i say i need is a stick to fix their door. With glue it should hold in the long term. Yes right on too with the screws. If ya notice most pre-hung doors have two 2 1/2 inch screws in a bag stapled to the top. These are actually given to you to drive threw hinge nto the framing. Those doubled up 2X4's in there can support the weight of the door much better than a 7/8 in screw into 3/4in lumber. You're doin good. Have yourself a cookie:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.