Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
jkk

Share |

Pre-hung door for 5" walls

Trying to install orehungs in a 5" wall. Walls are 2x4 but plaster over drywall.

Can I use std 4 9/16" orehungs for this somehow? Do I need ham extensions? If so, do box stores carry extensions? I could use doors for 2x6 walls but then I think I'd have cut the jambs to fit the 5" wall.

jkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #2

Just as easy and cheaper to make your own extentions.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

as joe said it is easier.. just make sure you set the hinge side flush to the wall then fur out the opposite side. if you do it the opposite way.. the hinges will rub on the extension

your other option is to nix the prehung idea and make your own custom jambs
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (06-29-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
jkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Just as easy and cheaper to make your own extentions.
Did just that, using mdf, 18 ga brads every 4" to keep mdf aligned to jamb. Leaves a slightly noticeable line/ joint but looks great.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

when you put extensions on, its actually better to create a reveal instead of trying to keep them flush.. that way it looks like its supposed to have a shadow line
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (06-29-2013), jaydevries (07-04-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (06-29-2013), oh'mike (07-04-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
when you put extensions on, its actually better to create a reveal instead of trying to keep them flush.. that way it looks like its supposed to have a shadow line
A reveal is a finish carpenter's friend, every day.
CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Stair builder

Given that you know what you can get off the self won't work why don't you make a jamb that will be correct instead of just cobbling something on.
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

by my calcs, two sides of plaster at 1" thick each gives an extra 2" to the wall thickness so it comes out to be the same size as a 2x6 wall and then you have drywall on that so your wall should be 6 1/2" thick which is the thickness of a 2x6 wall with drywall on both sides. is this correct? if so a 2x6 door would work though I'm a carpenter and am not against making custom jambs for everyday doors made for 2x4 walls.

Last edited by hand drive; 07-04-2013 at 09:44 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mathewson View Post
Given that you know what you can get off the self won't work why don't you make a jamb that will be correct instead of just cobbling something on.
Jamb extensions aren't "cobbling something on" - it's normal trim carpentry. If you're buying pre-hung doors, especially stock from a big box or a lumberyard, they're probably 4 9/16. So you add extensions.
CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
DIY staff

Adding jamb extensions is not difficult if you have a table saw---

Building custom jambs and cutting in the hinges is a good solution if the work is high end or the frames are to be stained---however that is some fairly advanced carpentry.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Stair builder

IMO as a finish carpenter for some years, making your own door jambs is not, or shouldn't be considered, a particularly difficult task. I don't think that pre-hungs were even available prior to WW11 and would have been considered a normal part of a finish carpenters job. Most of the jobs I've worked the doors were ordered from a door company and were ordered with the wall width in mind or they were made onsite. That said I understand that many carpenters do add extensions but, again IMO, would be well served to consider making them to fit the opening rather than nailing on a filler strip.
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Mathewson For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
Stairguy

This is why they make split jambs
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millertyme For This Useful Post:
jkk (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
jkk

No offense at all to the professional craftsmen here, and my goal is always to do a good job, but my rules are 1) houses are primarily for shelter and 2) I'd rather have the extra time to invest ( ie train) my children, which is what I value.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
journeyman carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mathewson View Post
IMO as a finish carpenter for some years, making your own door jambs is not, or shouldn't be considered, a particularly difficult task. I don't think that pre-hungs were even available prior to WW11 and would have been considered a normal part of a finish carpenters job. Most of the jobs I've worked the doors were ordered from a door company and were ordered with the wall width in mind or they were made onsite. That said I understand that many carpenters do add extensions but, again IMO, would be well served to consider making them to fit the opening rather than nailing on a filler strip.

pretty much all the high end finish guys i know, myself included build their own jambs reason being the quality of prehungs is horrible these days. the quality control in the plants is terrible.. the hinges arent mortised consistantly, the header of hte jamb is cut too long or too short to get the same margin on both sides.. in the last 3 years ive hung only a handful of prehungs and every time ive spent more time pulling hte frame apart to cut the header to the correct size, or remortising the hinge gians. or even worse having to bend the hinges in order to get the door to operate correctly