Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Pre-cut white (wood) fence boards??

Hi all, thanks for reading this thread...

I have a white wooden fence that are missing some pieces of woods (pickets).. here is a picture:

Just wondering if it's possible to buy some pre-cut pickets that would shape like these? I don't have enough tools to cut it like those curly shaped. Any other tips or thoughts about easier way to fix this fence? Thanks!

Last edited by ohman; 10-31-2012 at 12:31 PM.
ohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:54 AM   #2

Not likly, a simple jig saw is all you need to make some new ones.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Yup. Or a scroll saw or even a router if you would have more use for it beyond this project. Just use one of the existing pickets as your template.

I have not bought tools in awhile and usually bought other than retail type tools. But I should think a jigsaw robust enough for this project shouldn't be more than $30-40? Add in $10 for a couple nice sharp blades.

You will find clamps will come in handy to hold the pickets while you make your cuts or use a router to cut your patterns. With a scroll saw you bring the work to the tool.

Once cut, sand any sharp edges. Prime and paint. Or coat with a solid acrylic stain like Woodscapes.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ohman (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #4

Thanks all! I'm new to this type of project, to avoid future mildew/mold growing, can I directly prime the wood with Perma-White Exterior paint? For white color fence, would Satin or Semi-Gloss be a better choice?? Thanks again!

Last edited by ohman; 10-31-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #5

Hmm... looks like HomeDepot and Lowes do have something that looks similar:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_106519-457-O...ductId=3479193
Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #6

Guess you missed the part about using a soild stain instead of paint. Stain will last far longer, paints just going to peel. It's also the best thing to use on pressure treated wood.
If you do go with one already made from a box store and it's pressure treated wiat until it has time to dry out in the sun. Stain it to soon and your just sealing in the moisture and your sure to have mold issues.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #7

Also by the way, does Sherwin Williams has any similar products like Zinsser Perma-White?? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Guess you missed the part about using a soild stain instead of paint. Stain will last far longer, paints just going to peel. It's also the best thing to use on pressure treated wood.
If you do go with one already made from a box store and it's pressure treated wiat until it has time to dry out in the sun. Stain it to soon and your just sealing in the moisture and your sure to have mold issues.
Proper primer and paint will last just as long and work just as well on seasoned pressure treated wood. A solid stain is just a bit easier to work with since it requires no primer. Touch up is easy.

Sherwin Williams make Woodscapes solid acrylic stain which would be perfect for your picket fence. It will work over previously painted surfaces (so long as they are clean and prepped) and other substrates as well. However, it will keep more of the wood grain texture showing than if you primed and painted.

As your SW dealer for other product suggestions. I believe others have mentioned they are running a 40-50 percent off sale?
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ohman (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #9

OK I'm seriously considering the stain option. I have to say that I know very little about stain and I always thought that stain would just keep the wood as the original color, but guess I was wrong after some research as it seems that stain like Woodscapes can actually has color in it (e.g. white). For this project, I think I need to buy some pickets for the missing ones, but I'm not looking for replacing the whole fence. In this case, would I be able to apply white colored Woodscape solid acrylic stain over the existing fence as well as applying on the wood colored new pickets? Or, would I be better off to just prime the fence (and the new pickets) and paint it over with, say, Perma-White exterior paint? (Btw, I don't really care about the grain of the wood to show, my priority is longevity). If I choose to "stain" it (it seems to be a easier option as it does not require priming), would I have mildew problem in the future? Can I add mildewcide in the Woodscape stain and would that work?? Many thanks!

Last edited by ohman; 10-31-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Here is a chart that shows the difference between different types of exterior stains. With semi-transparent stains there is less pigment so you retain not only the texture of the wood grain but some of its color. As you move up to a solid stain your really retain only the texture of the wood.

You can prime and paint if you prefer and if you need to match previous pain that has filled in the wood grain.

If the wood is dry when you apply the solid stain I wouldn't add a mildew agent. Mildew, algae is not likely to grow in the product but on stuff that attaches to the surface.

I know you live in the Bay Area. There is nothing to add that will be a substitute for attention with some dilluted bleach, etc. and cleaning the surfaces.