Possible To CHEAPLY Add Insulation To A Finished Interior Wall? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Possible to CHEAPLY add insulation to a finished interior wall?

basically my wife and I fight over tv noise...I'll play my video games in the living room while she'll watch a show in the bedroom. the living room and bedroom share an interior wall. Is there any method to drilling a small hole between every stud and spraying in some spary-instation? Or any other way without tear down the sheetrock?

Advertisement

Last edited by Bacardi 151; 01-05-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Bacardi 151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35720202

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks, that's EXACTLY what I was looking for!
Bacardi 151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Yea, thats how you can install insulation in exiting walls. The real question is how BEST to block sound transmission between the rooms. Insulation will only give you a slight improvement. I have some scientific analysis of the effectiveness if you want the details. Options, in increasing effectiveness. Insulation additional layer of drywall, one side additional layer drywall both sides. additional layer of drywall, "decoupled' from existing wall additional layer of drywall decoupled from both walls The drywall PLUS insulation. Build a second wall, one inch from the existing wall, insulated, drywall both sides. Those would all vary in cost and complexity of course. I am of the opinion you will get very little benefit for the trouble of insulation for sound proofing. Reply back if you want more details on the specifics of the other techniques I mentioned.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi 151 View Post
basically my wife and I fight over tv noise...I'll play my video games in the living room while she'll watch a show in the bedroom. the living room and bedroom share an interior wall. Is there any method to drilling a small hole between every stud and spraying in some spary-instation? Or any other way without tear down the sheetrock?
I'm witH BRIK on this one. Insulation in stud cavities has very little effect on stopping sound transmision through walls. It will help muffle noises within the bay, like insulating a bay with water pipes in it to lessen the sound of running water, but noise is basically transmitted by solid through wall connections; drywall transmitts to studs, studs transmit to drywall on other side...sound is in other room now. You must either add more mass (additional drywall glued, not mechanically fastened to the existing wall), or better yet, decouple the two sides of the wall as suggested.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Somebody put on a set of headphones.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote