Porch Post Support - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Porch Post Support

I'm remodeling my porch which has wooden posts on a cement slab. I've used these particular supports before, but can't seem to find the same type. They are metal plates the size of the post bottom with four legs on the bottom to keep water from the bottom of the post. Does anyone know what these are called or where I can find something like this???


lcoxrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Mudpad's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 10

They are post anchors made by Simpson. You can buy at Lowes or HD or google simpson anchors online.


Mudpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Old School
Willie T's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Rewards Points: 2,000

Try Googling: Simpson Post Base
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
Tool Geek
PaliBob's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Palisades CA
Posts: 2,590
Rewards Points: 2,160

Welcome to the Forum
I think you are looking for a standoff post base similar to:
AB/ABA/ABE/ABU Adjustable and Standoff Post Bases

Note, The Big Box stores carry very few post bases compared to all the possible configurations. To find a local Simpson Dealer try:
Dealer Locator - United States

Note that Link will show HD and even small Hardware stores that sell only a few Simpson products. To find the major Simpson Sources you might have to expand the "Search within window"
& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Household Handyman
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,478
Rewards Points: 1,408

We call them "post chairs" in my area. They are bought at local builder supply store, not a big box store. The one's I am familiar with are a cast aluminum product as you described. The post/square column sit on top of the "chair", which is actually bolted to the post from the bottom, then there are four legs maybe 1/2" to 3/4" high the "chair" sits on for water to drain out from under. Try a builder supply store, not a Lowe's or HD type store. Maybe even an online search. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deck Post Height for Composite Post Railing ylwdog Building & Construction 5 11-15-2010 09:01 AM
Attaching Porch Post to Foundation Earnie Building & Construction 4 03-15-2010 08:38 PM
Moving a support post RaH Building & Construction 5 03-07-2010 08:48 PM
Deck Beam connection to Post? CNJHomeowner Building & Construction 7 08-08-2008 06:14 AM
PORCH - from BRICK to WOOD Kukurigu Building & Construction 1 11-12-2005 09:33 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1