Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

Share |

Porch Knee Wall/Half Wall/Railing Designs and Photos

I'm going to construct a railing/ half wall on my porch. I'm looking to make it out of 2x6's so I can cap it with pre painted break metal. I also want both sides to be covered in vinyl siding. My main concern is that it's waterproof of course to keep water out of

Does anyone have any pictures or designs? I've been googling porch half walls, knee walls, parapet walls and can't come across any designs or even good photos.
derzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #2

Why would you want a knee wall that's water proof?
Why does it need to be 2 X 6?
Really needs to be built up off of the decking for drainage.
To do this your going to need to build the railings, cover with plywood or OSB, then add house wrap then the siding.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #3

The reason I want it to be waterproof is that it's exposed to the rain and snow 100%. Let me explain more. My porch is actually a concrete slab that forms the roof of my garage. My garage poured concrete walls and a concrete roof. The railing that prevents occupants from falling over the garage door entrance is just a black wrought iron railing. I'd like to make the front of the garage look more modern by vinyl siding it and constructing the wall for privacy while on the porch.

I picked 2x6 because there is a concrete curb the railing is set in that thickness. If anyone ever lived in a row home with a rooftop deck and parapet you can picture exactly what I have in mind.

Sorry for the confusion. I hope to cap it with break metal and in such a manor that rain water won't get behind the vinyl siding.
derzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

I'd build the whole thing out of treated lumber with the correct fasteners, build it like it was at the beach...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote