Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #1

Share |

Poplar vs pine for sliding door

Hello all,

I need to make two sliding walls for a closet, to be hung on bypass track. The track is designed for 3/4 inch thick doors. I was going to assemble each door as a flat panel insert, using pocket screws. Each door will be 9'x4'. The panels will be 1/4" mdf. The rails and styles will be 1"x4". Which wood is best for this size door? Pine or poplar? Other option? The finished doors will be painted.

Thank you in advance

dincanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
DIY staff

9 feet x4 feet?---Those will not stay flat using 3/4" stiles and rails--sorry---

Get heavier track and go for 1 3/8" minimum stiles and rails--I would use a glued up section made of two 1x4s---Poplar or fir would be safe choices--use the best straight grained,clear product available.

I suggest tennoned joints --glued--those pocket screws will allow the stiles to roll out of plane on a door that large.

BigJim (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #3

Thank you mike. That was my fear. If I changed the height to 8', could I keep the thickness 3/4" by ripping some type of engineered wood like ply of mdf, to make the rails and styles? My concern with mdf is it might bend at 8' lengths but I could be wrong.
dincanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
DIY staff

Wood will twist ---3/4 inch is just to thin---even steel or aluminum would be floppy in those sizes.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
9 feet x4 feet?---Those will not stay flat using 3/4" stiles and rails--sorry---

Get heavier track and go for 1 3/8" minimum stiles and rails--I would use a glued up section made of two 1x4s---Poplar or fir would be safe choices--use the best straight grained,clear product available.

I suggest tennoned joints --glued--those pocket screws will allow the stiles to roll out of plane on a door that large.
I think I would be inclined to put support midway down the 9 foot dimension also. Just cut panels for top and bottom sections.

Maybe I am old school but I think I would use 1/4" tempered masonite before MDF that thin for the panels. I am not sure I could make a strong argument as to why though.

And I too would add some sort of joinery---tennons would do it---and not rely just on pocket screws and butt joints.

Last edited by user1007; 06-16-2012 at 11:55 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote