Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

poly over poly for kitchen cabinets?

Like a previous questioner, I would like to darken my light maple kitchen cabinets. They are sealed with poly. The suggestion to apply a tinted poly over the existing sounds like it isn't too much work. Can someone give me step-by-step instructions? Do I have to sand everything? Can I use TSP or something to knock down the shine? What exactly do I need to do to darken my cabinets a bit?

vbfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbfk View Post
Like a previous questioner, I would like to darken my light maple kitchen cabinets. They are sealed with poly. The suggestion to apply a tinted poly over the existing sounds like it isn't too much work. Can someone give me step-by-step instructions? Do I have to sand everything? Can I use TSP or something to knock down the shine? What exactly do I need to do to darken my cabinets a bit?
I would practice on something else before you start with the cabinets. See the outcome, then decide if you want to try it on the cabinets.
I've tried the Polyshades once or twice. Never really liked the way it worked. I'd rather strip off the finish and restain the piece to the color I want, then apply the top protective coats.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sand everything with 320 grit paper and blow off dust with a compressor and blow gun. Damp rag with mineral spirits if you cannot do it this way will work. You need to spray the application to get the best results. Use a two component water based polyurethane for best results. Milesi makes the best polyurethanes. Box stores only carry the cheap products and not appropriate for cabinets. You can color the poly with dye to get any color you want. Water based products will take longer to dry than solvent base polys. To sand out the dust bunnies just use wet dry 1500 grit sandpaper. Using cheaper product does not work because what makes them cheap is cheaper components. The resins used in these Italian products are microsopic and this makes a harder more durable sheen. The same for there dyes and sealers. Because of this quality you get an even color even with dark colors on Maple, which some here will claim needs to be pre-conditioned. When using quality materials these steps are not needed.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote