Pocket Flipper Kit For Room Doors? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

pocket flipper kit for room doors?

I've put a washer/dryer in a cove in the bathroom, but instead of installing a door to conceal it I'd like to save space and install a pocket flipper door (yes, exactly like those TV/entertainment cabinet doors). The problem is I can only find the hardware/kit for cabinet doors (24" w x 42" h max), not standard-ish size room doors.

Any ideas if something like this exist? If so, where can I find it. If not, how would I go about building this custom system myself?

Thanks in advance

P.S. - I guess I don't have to use an actual standard room door - maybe even MDF, particle board, plywood, etc. could be used as the door? The rough measurements of the door would be 28" w x 70" h

Advertisement

anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

MDF is way too heavy, just use regular interior doors. Solid core would be easier to mount hardware to and cut to size if you insist on 70" height.Fasten acoustic panels to inside of doors and cabinet to block some noise of washer. You will need air inlet for dryer, especially if gas. Possibly an outlet up towards top, as even with venting, dryer will produce heat and moisture.

http://www.accuride.com/Woodworking/...Cable%20System

http://www.richelieu.com/en/cable-sy...4329028?fr=pgr

You could possibly hang doors on pivoting frame, which in turn slides back in hanging "barn door" track.

Folding accordian doors might be option, some searching might find some with sound deadening qualities.

Advertisement

Last edited by notmrjohn; 10-22-2012 at 10:49 AM.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 632

It would be a whole lot easyer, and there would be more options if you reframed the opening to a standard size door opening.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

A flipper door would also eat up a lot of the space inside the closit.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Why not bi-fold?

But just in case you want to continue to explore options....go to the Rockler web site....tons of options for hardware.

Rockler.com

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I should of mentioned the opening isn't rectangular. The right side hits a slanted ceiling (see attached). The door would not have to be that high as a header is going to be installed
Attached Thumbnails
pocket flipper kit for room doors?-20120831_121217.jpg  
anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,030

I'd be tempted to build those as cabinet doors so it looks like a built in cabinet. And just have each one open up.
Can get hinges that swing 110degree, 180 degree or a whole slew of options.
The one on the right would need a spacer to bring it out from the wall and so the handle does not hit the wall.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

How wide is the alcove? Is there room for side by side machines? Any way to make wall on that side thinner? A flip door on that side is going to take up space thickness of door + hardware. A door that tall you'll need the flip hardware with cables that I linked too, especially if its a thin cabinet door, which takes a bit more room. The angle makes it a bit tricky as you won't be able to mount hardware high enuff to prevent warping of thin door.

If you insist on a "flip" type door, go to Farm and ranch supply, look into light weight pivoting, sliding "barn door" track. Door hangs on rollers. Big box has some track door systems, but I don't think I've seen any pivoting ones there. This is system where door looks hinged normally, has rollers at top hidden behind molding, door opens 90* then slides back into alcove. Like a flip door but differant hardware, can handle heavier bigger door.

I have "faked" a few of those with casters on bottom of door, It takes some doing, especially supporting hinge side of door and getting proper closure; and is probably beyond your experience, dang near beyond mine and I been eating saw dust for nearly 50 years.

I think I see your reasoning for flip doors on the high side, door is gonna be out into room. With thinner wall you might could hinge door to outer corner with hinge mounted for 270 deg. Door would swing back against that wall. That could be done with regular door and mortise hinges.

Problem with regular cabinet doors of that height is tendency to warp or bow, especially in humid conditions of laundry, takes nice straight tight grain wood, several hinges and catches. A thicker, flay faced, solid core door can be cut and trimmed out to look like raised panel cabinet door.

The short side is not a big problem, if you use a header and horizontal top door. Looks like you cant flip it any way due to duct. Make wall above look like door, trim around and molding across header level match a horizontal molding on tall door, so looks like a tall slant top door. Or go all flush painted doors with mimimum trim around doors. A wide bi-fold with extra hinging and 270* hinge at tall wall is an idea. Google "under stair storage" and "closets" for door treatment ideas.

If twas me, I'd use flat faced interior solid core doors, regular trim around, grilled air inlet in bottom of one or both for dryer. It depends on how visible the alcove opening is, room arrangement, what else room is used for etc etc. "Bathroom" type fan up high in alcove vented out the same wall as dryer duct. Fan connected to humidistat and / or thermostat, or connected to come on when dryer is on. Also install lighting in alcove.

Now , off topic of doors. is that exterior wall dryer vent runs thru? Consider a drip pan under washer with 2 1/2 or 3" pvc line running outside in case washer drain line clogs, hoses burst, or washer over flows. A cheap 9 volt water alert in pan. Drain from pan should just flow onto ground away from foundation, not be tied to main line. It will need an anti-critter baffle ( P trap with mineral oil in it near outlet) or coarse screen. Replace hoses with steel braided, valves with easy to reach and turn, fully on fully off ball cocks with long handles. Turn off when not washing. there ae also electrically operated valves that automatically turn on when washer turns on, off when washer is off. Glad to see electricals are up high.

I got all kinds of ideas, some screwy, some even screwier. Most are harder to explain that to do. Like that pivoting roller door.

Advertisement

Last edited by notmrjohn; 10-23-2012 at 10:33 AM.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote