Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 632

pocket doors driving me nuts

I love the looks of these double pocket doors, (off the living room), but most of the time when I close them there's a gap (photo #1). I grab them on each side and shake them and then they close tightly, (photo #2).

Seems like I'm pulling them out too far, but I have no way of knowing in advance. Is there something I could do to put a block on them so they aren't opened too far which creates the gap?

thank you

pocket doors driving me nuts-dscn1647.jpg

pocket doors driving me nuts-dscn1648.jpg

Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

It sounds like the rollers or track hardware are worn or loose. If they don't stop in the center then the two stops are missing or loose. there should be two aluminum clamps with rubber bumpers and a locking screw in the track an inch or two from the center to stop the doors. Loosen the screw move it toward the door an re tighten. It may take a couple tries to get them exact. If the rollers or track are loose half of one roller may have jumped out of the track until you shake them. Look to see if there are screws holding some of the trim on. there should be because you have to remove some of it to adjust or repair the track or rollers. Hopefully the hardware installed was not for lighter doors. Let us know how you make out.

Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Duckweather For This Useful Post:
BigJim (05-08-2013), jagans (05-08-2013), Startingover (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

In Photo 1 it appears that the gap is mush wider at the top than the bottom. Maybe a roller is riding up on a fastener that has backed out? Also, what about drilling with a forstner bit and installing a round magnet and a plate flush with the edge on the top and bottom?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Startingover (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #4

jagans,

You're talking to a semi-handy Irish female (who derives great satisfaction from fixing things myself) and I refuse at this point to hire anyone, but I don't understand your last sentence.

Where would I get a 'round magnet' to drill and where do I get a 'plate' ?

thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

If installed correctly some of the trim should be held on by screws but may be filled to hide them. the filled holes for a screw would be larger than the finish nail holes. If you can find them, one of the narrow top side frame pieces should be removable. Look up into the space the door travels in and you will see the track shaped like a J. The rollers, one pair near each end of the door ride in the J. It should be the piece on the open side of the J that you want to remove. The top casing may be fastened to it, if with nails and not with screws you may have to pry the casing away and cut the nails with a hacksaw blade. If you remove the frame piece you will see what is causing the problem. You can Google, Johnson or Stanley pocket door hardware you can see what all the parts look like. It uses two sets for a double door like yours.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duckweather For This Useful Post:
Startingover (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,026

Because the gap is wider at the top than at the bottom, at least one of the door panels is mistracking. You might open both doors and then slowly slide them closed one at a time to see which door is going astray and why.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
jagans,

You're talking to a semi-handy Irish female (who derives great satisfaction from fixing things myself) and I refuse at this point to hire anyone, but I don't understand your last sentence.

Where would I get a 'round magnet' to drill and where do I get a 'plate' ?

thanks
Well why didn't you say so? Just whack it with your shillelagh till it closes.

You can buy those round puck type magnets at HD in the hardware section, and just buy a metal strap there too. Same Isle. Epoxy the magnets in a recessed hole that you drill in the edge of the door.

It looks like you have a loose track or fastener though. I have faith in you now that I know your Lineage, but you might need a carpenter like yours truly to really fix it right.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Startingover (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #8

That's what I like about this site. For all the hard work everyone does, there's always time for a smile.