Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

pnuematic nailers

Hey everyone i am new to this forum and i am looking for some nail guns for a coffee table i am going to build. I cant decide to either go with a brad nailer or a finish nailer. The coffee table will have 2x4s used in it but also a lot of 1x4s. what do you all think. i am new to this pnuematic nail gun thing. so if any advice would be great. also could anyone tell me more info about all these types of nailers and a framing nail gun. what they are used for things of that nature. thanks everyone

manofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

pnuematic nailers

16 gauge trim nailers are probably more versatile than brad nailers. You can shoot longer nails with them. 18 gauge brad nailers are primarily used for attaching smaller pieces of trim since the nails are shorter and thinner. When trimming a house you'll get much more use out of a trim nailer. I use my brad nailer a lot in my woodworking projects. For woodworking, I'd rather have a brad nailer.

A framing nailer has no use for anything but framing!

Honestly, a coffee table should be made with proper woodworking joints, which don't require nails. Simply nailing and gluing pieces together won't result in a very nice or a very solid finished product. A coffee table would be perfect for mortise and tenon joinery or pocket hole joinery. If you must use a nail gun, a 16ga trim nailer would be most appropriate.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

pnuematic nailers

You can often find "package" deals on guns with a compressor at the big box stores that include both types of nailers at a reasonable price.....
Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Oldguy

Rewards Points: 250

pnuematic nailers

A 21 or 23 ga. pinner is extremly useful for holding trim pieces in place while the glue sets up. Leaves such a small hole that no filler is usually required before finish is applied. Oh yeah, if you are going to use it a lot, get a Grex.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

pnuematic nailers

yes old guys right those pinners are very handy and you can get them for about 100$ at the H.D.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

pnuematic nailers

Don't know if it is any good, but I picked up a bostich combo unit at lowes. It was on sale for $279 with an additional 20% off so it was $223. Has a compressor, finish nailer, brad nailer and stapler.
oscarMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,018

pnuematic nailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarMadison View Post
Don't know if it is any good, but I picked up a bostich combo unit at lowes. It was on sale for $279 with an additional 20% off so it was $223. Has a compressor, finish nailer, brad nailer and stapler.
That's a great price. It usually goes for about $300.

I prefer Porter Cable and Hitachi though.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

pnuematic nailers

If you are attempting to build anything of high quality, I wouldn't use any form of nailer. Consider tools such as a plate joiner, pocket screws, etc...
duckdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

pnuematic nailers

If you are looking to put together something nice you shouldn't be using a nail gun for it period. I am actually building a coffee table out of African mohagany right this moment and there will be no nails used at all. I have tongue and grooved the top with a pair of router bits and then glued it up. I added two figured pieces on the end of the table with biscuits. I am going to join the legs pieces and apron together with bicuits. I will pocket hole the shelf underneath into the legs. Last, I will attach the top to the apron with screws and blocks to allow movement.
I think it sounds that you aren't going to make it too fancy. You would do well to get a Kreg pocket hole jig. You will be able to do everything you need to, plus it will be so much stronger than nails.
In regards to a pinner, they aren't useful except to put up small fragile mouldings. They don't have much holding power to keep anything structural together.
As far as brands go, Hitachi makes the best IMO. I do have other brands as well though. Bostich seems like the seals leak but I think they have fixed that now.
Josh Jaros (Jaros Bros. Construction)
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

pnuematic nailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdown View Post
If you are attempting to build anything of high quality, I wouldn't use any form of nailer. Consider tools such as a plate joiner, pocket screws, etc...

I agree with this. I wasn't thinking about the fact that he was making a coffee table. Just focused on the nailer portion.

Course you can always use a few brads "to hold it until the glue dries."

Last edited by oscarMadison; 01-18-2009 at 05:57 PM.
oscarMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

pnuematic nailers

Likewise, just responding to the nail gun question. And the pinner is quite handy, but only for "end caps" of small trims and such. I got the $100.00 Porter Cable at HD. It is limited to 1" and shorter pins,but that works for my use. The Grex, I believe, handles longer pins but is quite a bit more $$$.........
Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25

pnuematic nailers

Paslode T250A-F16 - 16 Gauge Angled Finish Nailer

It was onsale at my local homedepot a few weeks ago for $111

TBFghost is offline   Reply With Quote