Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plywood Temporary Walkway over field

I need to build a 500' x 8' walkway for wheelchairs over a grass field. I am leaning towards plywood, 2x4's underneath, and screwed together so it's easier to uninstall than nailed. If I get 3/4" tongue and grooved OSB, is there an easier way to merge these pieces together over a long walkway? Perhaps a metal connector of some kind in the corners will hold them together? It is only for a day event but will see heavy wheelchair and foot traffic.

RicoJay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

I HAVE to ask this question - ARE YOU A SKILLED CARPENTER? (Not trying to take shots or anything, just want to know because this is a large project with disaster all over it if not framed and fastened proper)

Wheelchairs arent very fond of uneven surfaces and changes in pitch and the codes that go along with wheelchair access are a bit in depth.

However, if you frame the base in 2x4 then you NEED to make sure that you are framing it to carry the load over the entire piece of plywood or OSB as well as over the entire span. Soil is SOFT so it will give with weight on it. Also you have to ensure that its not going to sag or worse, break under a HEAVY LOAD. Remember, 32SF (a 4x8 sheet) can FIT quite a few people, HOLDING THEM is another story.

You would have to make the frames and joists square and consistent the whole 500 foot run. I would be doing the joists at 16 inches, and assuming this is ALL laying on the ground in this field, you will be doing a bit of leveling as well. Which means any joists not on a solid surface may need hangers for additional security (Remember, a LOT of weight will be on this).

FURTHERMORE you MUST HAVE RAILINGS attached the ENTIRE 500 feet for the wheelchairs because it is an ELEVATED PLATFORM! If it gets wet or anything that may impair the control of a wheel chair that railing is the only thing that will stop them from going over the edge and getting hurt.

That said, the ramp to enter AND exit the walkway MUST NOT have more than 1 inch per foot rise to comply with code for wheelchair access and must ALSO have railings attached(thats code here, CHECK YOUR LOCAL CODES!).

Railings (Once again, code here, CHECK YOUR LOCAL ONES) must not exceed 36 inches in total height at any one point for handicap access. Also, you must have spindles or something of the like attached to prevent a wheelchair from going UNDER that same railing. once again, check local codes. Here, you cant have MORE than 4 inches space between them.

ALSO - CHECK YOUR CODES FOR LUMBER - Even if temporary, you may be required to use PT lumber.

On to HANGERS- You may need joist hangers, corner brackets etc etc

With all that said, I know I left out alot as well. This is not a small project, and to be honest, if you are going to be doing this, you would be well suited to seek out experienced professional help.

steveinNEPA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steveinNEPA For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Going to be one expensive project for a 1, day event.
That would be 63 pieces of sheathing.
About 200 2 X 4's by 8, plus all the screws.
Willing to spend over $2000.00 for this?
Why does it need to be so far back in the field?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
DIYer/PoleMonkey

Rewards Points: 252

Too many variables. Is the terrain level and solid? Also, 125 pieces of sheeting if 8' wide.
clw1963 is offline   Reply With Quote