Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #1

Share |

Plug up holes in wood

Hi;
I have several 3/4" and 1/2" holes in floor boards and wall headers that I want to plug up.
I thought I might use cork or dowel, pounded just below the surface, then a wood filler to finish it up.
One of the holes is in the floor boards in a doorway, and is visible, so I wanted it to look good.

Is my idea OK, or is there a better/easier way?

Thanks

FW

fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #2

Plug up holes in wood

If you have access to a drill press, you could use a plug cutter and make your own plugs either out of a similar or contasting species of wood.
http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?O...Select=Details

They come in different diameters.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #3

Plug up holes in wood

Use a forstner bit to make the holes perfectly round. You might need to enlarge them a bit.

Then use the tapered plug cutter described above. Dowels are not a good idea because they're perfectly cylindrical, and won't meet perfectly tight to the floor's finished surface like a slightly tapered plug will. Use wood glue. Use a flush cut saw, sander, or chisel to level the plugs to the floor.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Plug up holes in wood

Use a hole saw without the pilot bit to cut some plugs out of the same species of wood as the floor. Cut them just a hair larger than the hole, then sand the plugs on a taper. Glue them and tap them in with a mallet, keeping the grain direction the same as the floor. Shave them down with a sharp chisel and then sand them down to the surface of the floor. Apply finish to match the floor and the repair will almost disappear in most cases. No need for filler.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #5

Plug up holes in wood

Although I wouldn't use this for small holes, you could also use an inlay set for your router to make any size / shape patch.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyId=1391
Old 09-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #6

Plug up holes in wood

Great ideas guys, thanks.
Only problem is that I don't have a router, hole saw, or any of the other tools except for a standard 3/8" electric drill.

I found some floor plugs listed online, and think I will buy from them.
The grain doesn't have to exactly match, since first off, there are many other, more serious imperfections in the house, and the hole is kind of hidden by the folding door.
The other holes are strictly in the wall headers in the basement, and don't show anywhere upstairs.

I apologize for giving you the impression that I really needed to make this job look good.
I just didn't want to use something that would stick out like, well, a sort thumb<g>

The hole in the bottom of the doorway was a mistake, which I drilled up from the basement, wanting to gain access to the wall space for wiring, but completely forgot about the doorway above. Woops!

FW

fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote