Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #1

Share |

Plaster on drywall?

I have a question from one of you pros out there. Please excuse my ignorance.

I have a ceiling in my dining room, that started cracking sagging down, and because of the condition of the lath boards (termite damage) I had to remove about 1/3 of the plaster. I know that the best thing to do is to replace the entire ceiling, but I believe the reason the ceiling failed where it did was because of some foundation work I had done in that area a few years back. Thats when the cracks started. Well,I have decided to try to do a patch repair. This leads me to a few questions.

! Will plaster be ok on top of drywall? I plan on using drywall for the patch, and then finishing it up with plaster, and try to duplicate the finish. I have regular drywall at hand, and was hoping not to have to go out and buy something else.

2 When I am doing the tape job on the drywall, can I use plaster on the tape instead of drywall compound?

I am trying to restore as much of the house as I can (historically speaking), but due to time constraints, I am unable to do the correct plastering at this time. I figured, this would be better than doing nothing at all.

Thank you for any feed-back, advice, and threats that you give.
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #2

Plaster on drywall?

First off, termites in the ceiling? Second off, I don't know what 1/3 of your dining room looks like. A picture might help us help you. Anyways.....

you can plaster on top of the drywall if you have the correct drywall (regular drywall will not work, but on the bright side drywall isn't that expensive). You are looking for veneer plaster and finish coat and I doubt you will find it HD or Lowes.

As for the tape job, it really doesn't matter it's gonna crack because the plaster and the drywall expand and contract at different
rates. You'll need to chip back some of the old finish coat on the plaster and tape across those joints.

There are some nuances about plaster that MIGHT help with the cracking. I'd use (well actually I wouldn't do this project this way but if your gonna) a bonding agent like plasterweld or weldcrete on the edges of the old plaster before you hang the drywall. It may help somewhat.

So from here I would search for veneer plasters, and plasterweld, (weldcrete will also work) and find distributors in your area.

Lastly, the best solution would be to either drywall it all, or find an old plasterer to do the repair. If you can't find an old plasterer I'm available (for a price).

Last edited by shimmy25; 03-03-2008 at 08:55 PM.
shimmy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #3

Plaster on drywall?

shimmy25

Thank you for the info. I have some of that "plasterweld", and had intended on using it. Damn those idiots at HD. I told them that I read that it has to be a certan type of drywall, but they said NO, any kind will work. As far as photos go, I have a ton of them, but I can not down-load them from my computer to this site, and I do not have an URL. If you want to see photos, give me your email, and I'll gladly send you some. As far as termites in the ceiling, yup, they were there at one time. I have had this house tented for those buggers 3 times in the past 9 years. Most of the damage I am seeing looks to be from many years ago.

How much would it cost me to hire you for the job. Lets see, first I would have to fly you down to Tampa, and then go from there.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #4

Plaster on drywall?

Can plaster be applied to "blue-board"?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #5

Plaster on drywall?

I believe so, but just check the specs on the product you are planning on using. All of the companies that make the stuff have the specs available online.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #6

Plaster on drywall?

Also, I forgot to mention, you could quick set drywall mud to tape your joints.
It's a dry mix and comes in like 20,30, 45 minute set times. It can be built out
heavier if needed to overcome variations in thickness between the old plaster
and the new drywall. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #7

Plaster on drywall?

Sorry, I meant to add, will the "blue-board" have the same problem with cracks forming from the expansion and contraction, as regular drywall does, or does this have close to the same characteristics as the plaster? I located a place down the street from me that carries the veneer plaster. Can you apply multiple coats, or is it designed to be only a one-coat process?

I've got the local City Code enforcement after me to paint the house. I am restoring it as I go. This is the reason I can not put the time into this right now. I have the wife after me to repair the ceiling, so I have to finish this first.

Thanks again for the help on this. I really appreciate it!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #8

Plaster on drywall?

It will have the same possible problem. There is a one coat or two coat systems. It's should be applied to about 1/8" thick.