Planing Services? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 202

Planing services?

Our kitchen has cabinets that I would like to repaint. They were laminate from the 70's and I primed and painted them black, but as I guessed the paint didn't bond to the white cabinets and they have chips. I stripped the boxes of their laminate and glue, and they look fine. I might be able to pull the Laminate from the doors (like I did with boxes) too but doubtful. They're nice and dense and thin and not sure we could even get quality like this now? Would planer services shave the laminate from the door faces or would this ruin the blades?
Would be grateful for some ideas.

Advertisement

Squeakyhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #2
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 650

Planing services?

If I had a planer, I wouldn't do it.

Advertisement

MT Stringer (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 01:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,590

Planing services?

You can not plane laminate.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:53 AM   #4

Planing services?

I know this sounds cheap but I like to make things look good with paint. First I will try a heat gun and remove the laminate. If that doesn't work I'll have to get new doors. I will probably get sheets and cut and router edges. For a basic flat door with some nice pulls. Thx for the responses.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,256

Planing services?

We have no pictures but I'll make a guess, your going to find partical board under that laminate.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 225

Planing services?

As was said, you can't plane laminate (well, technically you can plane anything, but nobody is going to, and the results won't be useful).

How many doors do you have? If it's more than a few, I would suggest just going for new, paint-grade doors. Look around online, they're not that expensive in the overall picture. Or, depending on the style and your ability, you could make them yourself.

Even if you could heat up and remove the laminate, you then have to deal with getting the residual adhesive off. Scraping, sanding, getting into the crevices, its a fair amount of work to get them ready for paint.

Sometimes the cost of skipping all the labor-intensive prep work is worth the decreased frustration.
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Durt Ferguson For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

Planing services?

Planing services?-image.jpg

Thx I know I'm cheap but I don't mind the project. I'm going to try a blow torch on the face to see if the laminate will come off. I appreciate your ideas. I don't have the money right now but will look into some new cabinet doors and see if the sizes are available. I scraped all the glue from the boxes and the doors will be even less area. Might try one door to evaluate the results. Optimal results would be a flat, smooth surface without looking at all like particle board. Will have to make a little paint magic.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 754

Planing services?

Order new doors and forget about all of that frustration. Your finished project will look like a new kitchen and not something some cheep guy just repainted.

Save your cheep stuff for other projects.

You can thank me later.

Good luck with your project.
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 225

Planing services?

Squeakyhinge, they look like slab-style doors. Right? If you're painting them, you could cut new ones out of MDF or plywood (and iron-on edging) and paint them. If you have a router you could add a nice profile to the edge of the MDF. It'd probably end up better looking than trying to save what you have now. A 4'x8' sheet of 3/4 MDF is around $30 here, and that would yield several doors. $30 is not much when you consider the alternative of all that time, along with the money spent on sandpaper, stripper, etc.

If you do MDF doors, just apply some bondo or drywall compound to the edges and sand smooth before painting, and your doors will be nice and smooth all around.

Advertisement

Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote