Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #1

Share |

Pitch on 10 x 10 shed roof

I am adding on a 10 x 10 storage area on back of my garage. It will have a shed roof and drop 6in. from front to back. Is that too flat for a 10ft span?

Ranger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
In a little over my head

People are about to ask you where you are located and what you plan on covering the roof with. Also, how important is it that the roof doesn't leak.
I suspect that when all that info is in, the roof will be too flat. Unless you plan on roofing it with a rubber membrane or tar and gravel.

ratherbefishing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #3

Steeper the pitch the less trouble it's going to be in the long run.
Also make sure to add an over hang on all sides.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

first thing, where are you located because you may need to allow for snow load. based on 6" total rise on 10' of run your looking at about 3/8" slope per foot which is very low. if you get snow in the winter you will have to use 2x10's for rafters if you dont want the roof rafters to sag
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #5

And even if you don't get snow, unless you are in an extremely dry part of the world, there is still rain to deal with, and what you have in mind is most likely not going to be a good situation. There are usually multiple options, and yes, you may have to buy a few more pieces of lumber and some additional sheathing, shingles, etc., but you can have a trouble free structure when you're done. Post a picture, or at least sketch, of what you have and what you want to add, and get some options.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

a roof can be perfectly flat or it can have a 18 pitch slope. what matters is to match the roofing to the roof. a flat roof needs a rubber membrane and a steep roof can have many types of roofing. 3 pitch and less is considered flat roof
hand drive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
General Contractor

A 1 foot rise over 10 feet would give you a 1.2 in 12 slope.......or 1.2" per foot.

So a 6 inch rise would give you a .6 in 12 slope - .6 inches per foot.

Tar & gravel was the old way of doing a flat or low slope roof.
Now Torch-on is how it's done.........and this is how you should seal this roof.

But it is expensive for that little roof, I think your better off changing the pitch to a minimum 3 in 12 slope although I recommend at least 4 in 12 slope.
So that you can use asphalt shingles.
That would mean one end is 40" or 3'-4" higher than the other end.

Last edited by Gary Evans; 01-30-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Gary Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:00 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Either put more pitch in it or membrane it.

Fully adhered EPDM could be done DIY if you are handy. Torch down is definitely not DIY friendly but does work great.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
roofermann (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
STAFF

At that low of pitch it will be easy for wind to blow rain uphill under your flashing where the shed roof hits the garage wall.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #10

Your pitch worked well for me when I used rolled asphalt roofing, however; my shed is under a deck which catches most of the snow. I wouldn't pitch that shallow if your shed is open to the sky unless I treated it like a flat roof. Which on houses, IMHO, looks tacky. Is there anything preventing you from achieving a steeper pitch?
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
General Contractor

There's many ways a homeowner can attempt to patch a low slope roof like that, I only recommend ways that a professional contractor would do it.

For rolled roofing I wouldn't recommend going under 1 in 12 slope and even then you should use ice & water shield under it. ..........this roof right now is still a ways from a 1 in 12 slope.

But I also run into situations where the homeowner can't afford to do it the professional way.........and this ain't Holmes on Homes where it all has to come out.......lol.
And it is just a shed roof, you could use rolled roofing but go beyond the peel & stick seal........add a generous bead of roofing tar above and right next to the peel & stick bond.
Guaranteed till it leaks and don't tell anyone .........lol.

Last edited by Gary Evans; 01-31-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Gary Evans is offline   Reply With Quote