Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #1

Share |

Pillar fence post with recessed panels on two sides

I want to build a fence using some wrought iron panels I have and mount them on wooden posts with recessed panels on two sides. My question mainly revolves around the recessed panels. Do I clap 2x6's around a 4x4 and simply cut out a rectangle in the interior of two 2x6's and then finish the recess with molding? Would it be better to creat a wooden sleeve of 1x material or 2x material that slides onto an erected 4x4 post? Should I use an insert of plywood for the recess for a more finished appearance? I think the deeper recess looks better and I would achieve that with 2x stock. I plan to paint the posts--should I use treated southern pine or can I use untreated fir or pine? I wish I could show you the picture I have seen of this post at Walpole Woodworkers. Finished dimensions can be 6x6, 6x8, 8x8, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
derby2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #2

Pillar fence post with recessed panels on two sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by derby2* View Post
Do I clap 2x6's around a 4x4 and simply cut out a rectangle in the interior of two 2x6's and then finish the recess with molding?

should I use treated southern pine or can I use untreated fir or pine?
Just face your 4x4 with pine lumber. (you can't use fir - it'll melt in a year). You can either do it as you describe (cut out a rectangle and finish with moulding) or you can use two long strips for the sides, and two short strips for the middle, top and bottom (rather than trying to cut out a rectangle from the middle). It'll probably be quicker, cleaner, and produce less waste to do it with 4 pieces rather than one.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote