Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

Share |

*PICS* How do I cut fascia board notch for soffit?

I'm attempting to install some fascia board. The fascia is angled at ~30 degrees towards the house. I need to cut a notch in the back of the fascia for the soffit to slide into. The notch will need to be cut at ~30 degrees as well.

If I had a table saw, this would be an easy job, but I only have a circular saw. I also don't have room to setup a guide board or use a pair of vice grips on the saw base so I can cut a straight line.

Here is what I'm attempting to fix...

Here is the saw, board and location of cut I need to make...

Here is the notch I need to make...

Am I making this harder than it needs to be? Any ideas/recommendations/tips on how to make this cut without a table saw?

ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Set your saw at 30 degrees, set the depth, clamp on a straight edge and away you go. Make two cuts and chisel out the rest.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
Set your saw at 30 degrees, set the depth, clamp on a straight edge and away you go. Make two cuts and chisel out the rest.
That's the idea, but if you look at the second picture I have almost zero real estate in which to clamp a guide board. That's the main issue.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
Maryland

Why not create a fence for the sole plate of your saw to ride against? Get yourself a sheet of 1/2" plywood and screw a 2x4 to it parallel to it's length. Raise the blade on your saw so that it will sit flat on the plywood and then place the saw against the 2x4. Measure the distance from edge of the 2x4 to the near edge of the saw blade. Now remove the saw and place the piece of fascia against the 2x4. Determine where your cut needs to be made and measure the distance from that point back to the 2x4. Compare this measurement with the one taken from the saw to see how far away from the 2x4 the fascia board will need to be to put your cut in the right spot. You can add spacer blocks between the 2x4 and the fascia to get your cut positioned correctly. (Just make sure your blocks don't stick up above your fascia board) Clamp or fasten the fascia to the plywood, set your saw angle and depth and make your cut. Keep the sole plate of your saw tight against the 2x4 fence and you should be able to make nice, clean, consistent cuts in the right location. Might sound complicated, but it's actually very simple. Kinda like a poor man's tracksaw.
Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #5

Where's the guide that came with the saw? See the track and the thumb screw on top of the sole plate? That's where it goes. Any box store will have some in stock.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Sounds like someone's buying a small table saw...

Or set about making a jig on some plywood.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the size of the notch necessary is more than just the width of a saw blade. As in, you'd need to either make multiple passes with a circular saw or use a table saw. A table saw with a dado blade would make this a one-pass operation. Or even with a regular blade it'd be a lot easier to just adjust the fence and run the material through again.

Doing that with a circular saw and a jig is going to be a lot more frustrating. It'd likely take a lot longer and end up wasting more materials. Making the purchase of a table saw a much better solution...
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Where's the guide that came with the saw? See the track and the thumb screw on top of the sole plate? That's where it goes. Any box store will have some in stock.
It didn't come with one, but I'm glad you pointed that out to me. That's good to know.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Doing that with a circular saw and a jig is going to be a lot more frustrating. It'd likely take a lot longer and end up wasting more materials. Making the purchase of a table saw a much better solution...
I agree a table saw is a MUCH better solution, but I don't really want to purchase and store a table saw for this little project.

I think with the tips above and a similar solution I've dreamed up I can make this work.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Bill Kearney

craigslist is a great resource for something like this. Pick one up, make use of it and turn right back around and sell it again.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/s...saw&srchType=A

Doesn't have to be pretty. Just make sure it comes with the rip fence and miter gauge.

http://www.rockler.com/articles/table-saw.cfm
http://www.rockler.com/articles/tabl...erminology.cfm
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Put two carbide blades on and offset the teeth, that should give you the width you need.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #11

I picked up a rip fence for my circular saw like joecaption was talking about. It should work perfect.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #12

And please do not try and stack the blades!
The arbor shaft has a turned down area that's only made to hold one blade. The second blade would have nothing to keep it in alignment.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #13

I won't. I'll just make 2-3+ passes until I get the desired width.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ConstantChange For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (06-23-2013), Willie T (06-22-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #14

Those guides will wander at the end of the board, with practice you can make it straight. If needed get a board longer then you need and plan on cutting off the end.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #15

I think you'd charge to either accomplish assorted passes with a annular saw or use a table saw. A table saw with a dado brand would accomplish this a one-pass operation. Or even with a approved brand it'd be a lot easier to just acclimatize the fence and run the actual through again.

alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote