Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #1

Share |

Performax sliding compound miter saws for 3.5" crown?

Hi,

I have to do some crown molding in my kitchen and the new 6" baseboards upstairs. the only miter saw i have is so sloppy and imprecise with its angles it might as well just be a chop saw.

On a budget I see two Performax sliding miters on sale at Menards. One is 12" dual bevel for 250 or so and the other is single bevel 10".

Do any of you have experience with Performax miter saws? If i put a good blade on them will they give me solid smooth repeatable 45s and bevels and achieve the tasks i listed above?

Next step up is a beast of a 12" Hitachi, but it is on sale for $400 and i really really don't want to spend that much more since i probably won't use it much after this whole house remodel which is nearly already done now.

Menards also has a WEN for $80, but i am afraid it will be a sliding pos like the one I already have. Is this true? Should i avoid WEN?

What do you think? Any advice before the sales are done? Havent checked lowes or home depot because they are 45 mins away but i bet Menards would match their prices.

Thank you very much!

Bradeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #2

Why not go down to local pawn shop. Might be able to score a nice Dewalt, or what ever thats in good shape.

HVACTECH96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HVACTECH96 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (12-23-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #3

There is only one pawn shop and they have nothing. I realize that Performax won't be perfection, but all I need is a tool that will be able to cut and bevel 90 and 45s for one floor's worth of painted baseboards and 30' of stained kitchen crown moulding. I don't need a contractor's tool that I will be running into the ground for 12 hours a day. I was just wondering if anyone had ever worked with them since I have never been able to find a review about them anywhere.

Have any of you had any experience with this brand since their affiliation with Menards?

Thank you again
Old 12-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

the only issue i can see with going to a pawn shop is theres a really good chance your going to get a hot tool.. almost every pawn shop here never sells tools that the original owner sold to the shop their always tools that were stolen from jobsites by druggies looking to score
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Stairguy

Never tried any of those brands. I imagine you would need to put a better blade on them though, especially with the prefinished crown. If its a one time thing, why not just rent one?
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #6

I would use a Bosch 10" Daredevil finishing blade. The reason I want to purchase one is that renting a saw costs 50$ plus the blade.

If I could just buy one for $100 more, why not do it so I have it for the other odd jobs I have now and in the future?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

i didnt realize the bosch daredevil blades are out for mitre saws and table saws.. the circ saw and recip saw daredevil blades have been for a while now.. ill have to get on the local rep to get me one to test out
Old 12-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #8

I didn't realize there would be a problem with using a finishing blade from daredevil on a miter saw. Please fill me in on why a circular saw blade is inappropriate for a miter saw. Doesn't seem like I would ever use 60 or 72 teeth to cut on a an imprecise circular saw.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
journeyman carpenter

im not saying to use a circ saw blade on a mitre saw. im simply stating i was unaware that the bluedevil mitre saw blades are out..