Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

penninsula type cabinets..HELP

I have an arch way between the kitchen and dining room approx 82 3/4" wide with a half wall under it. I want to build some cabinets spanning that area approx 17 inches from the top of the half wall and approx 30 " down from the start of the arch. Am I attempting to span a too large of an area or is there any secret tricks to doing this. I was going to use 3/4" birch for the cabinet box and face it with 3/4" birch to re-enforce the fronts to prevent sagging.. anyone have any ideas..I could use the help before I tackle this... thanks

texaswiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Licensed Contractor

It must be the weather, but I'm having difficulty visualizing what you want to do. Is the arch like a pass-through? How high is the arch, how high is the half-height wall?
If you are looking for approval for installing unsupported upper cabinets the whole 80-some-odd inches, fastened only to each other, that might be hard to come by. Or maybe I have no concept what it is you are trying to do.
The only way I would install a run of unsupported cabinets over that span, would be if the cabinet was built as one unit, and it would require some serious hardware to fasten it to the walls on either side.

Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Contractor - Renovations

I'm sure you'll either need to have some cable supports from the ceiling or some 2x(somethings) spanning the bottom. It's very hard to visualize what you are trying to do with your short description.

Are you fastening to a wall on either side of this half-wall/arch?
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote