Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #1

Share |

Patio cover roof

Hello,
I am putting up a 20x20 patio roof cover using trusses. I will be getting a permit and pouring footings soon. I am trying to figure out the best way to attach the side beam the truss sits on to the wall of my two story home. I need to acount for a 30 lb / sqft dead load i live in central illinois. Can I lag bolt the lvl to the studs in the wall or do I have to insert a post into the wall or is there a better way. I thought about attaching to the rim joist between floors but that would be quit high of a roof due to the slab to rim joist distance of 10 ft. Suggestion? Crude photos and drawing attached

Thanks

Patio cover roof-image-1566973534.jpg

Patio cover roof-image-1992151528.jpg

Patio cover roof-image-2716060485.jpg

Patio cover roof-image-3432481819.jpg

Musaw17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #2

Patio cover roof

I typically specify a column (either solid or built up) inside the wall so that it transfers the load down to the foundation. This also typically requires blocking between floor joists so that the point load does not crush the wood fibers in plates.

you can do it on the outside, but then you have a footing/foundation needed that has to go as deep as the footing on your home. since I got a foundation already I use it.

many different ways of accomplishing the same thing .... good luck! on a side note, are you installing diagonal (lateral) bracing on the columns to your beams? A lateral brace is a wooden member typically at a 45 degree angle to resist the wind wanting to push your roof? food for thought

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"

Last edited by GBrackins; 04-03-2013 at 11:36 PM.
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #3

Patio cover roof

We do those types of roofs all the time and we typically cut into the wall and insert a post down to the foundation.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Roofmaster

Patio cover roof

I would install a low slope inverted roof membrane covered with a drainage board, EXPS Insulation and decorative pavers, and create a raised sundeck up there with a nice hand rail, install a slider so you can walk out there from the bedroom and a set of steps to grade on the right side. Then you can take tea on your elevated sundeck in the morning, and hide underneath when it rains. The rain will blow right in on the bottom though, unless you screen it in, so its not much good for that. This will give you good fire eggress too.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf deck.pdf (36.7 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by jagans; 04-04-2013 at 10:13 AM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote