Pass-thru Counter - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Pass-thru counter

Hey Guys, I have a kitchen and dining room that are separated by a floor to ceiling partition wall. I want to be able to look into the dining room from the kitchen, but I don't want to open up the whole wall. I like the separation. So I'd like to build a pass-thru counter-top that is raised above the kitchen counter. I haven't installed kitchen cabinets yet, but I'm assuming that my counter top will match the height of the stove, 36". The pass-thru counter would be slightly higher to give the feel of a "breakfast counter" or something similar; it will be around 44" high. I feel pretty comfortable making the header and support beams and cutting the opening in the partition wall. But I'm not clear how you mount a counter top in the wall opening? It's basically going to be cantilevered and hanging out into the dining room, where I'll probably lean on it from time to time, kids will hang off it eventually, etc. How do you attach the counter-top?

Advertisement

gshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Pass-thru counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshock View Post
...How do you attach the counter-top?
What counter top material are you using?

Advertisement

RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
Mechanical Engineer

Pass-thru counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
What counter top material are you using?
I haven't decided yet. Probably preformed laminate.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #4

Pass-thru counter

Is the wall below open? What about screwing up from below and apply adhesive to the bottom before the wall closes?

Could you incorporate a corbel to support the outer edge?

You could make a counter base out of 2 - 3/4" layers of ply glued and screwed to each other and the wall then apply your own laminate either the same as the counter or a complementary color.

Any of these sound doable?
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Mechanical Engineer

Thumbs up

Pass-thru counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
Is the wall below open? What about screwing up from below and apply adhesive to the bottom before the wall closes?

Could you incorporate a corbel to support the outer edge?

You could make a counter base out of 2 - 3/4" layers of ply glued and screwed to each other and the wall then apply your own laminate either the same as the counter or a complementary color.

Any of these sound doable?
Yes, absolutely. I had similar conversations with a friend, but I wanted to see what you guys came up with before I mentioned it. Thanks for the tips.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Pass-thru counter

For starters install this top before the opening is cased out. A typical laminate top is going to have a built up edge around it's perimeter to give it thickness. This buildown in normally only 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide, leaving a large recessed area in the rest of the bottom. Make a piece of plywood that fits in this recess, then screw this sub base to the framing of the pass through, being sure that it is level in both directions. Now drop the laminated top onto this and secure it with screws from below, being sure they are not long enough to puncture the laminate. You could use a liberal dose of glue if you are not comfortable screwing up into the finished top. Now apply your wood jambs , driving a couple of wedges at the top to press it snugly down onto the counter top. Apply the casing trim, and paint.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:44 AM   #7

Pass-thru counter

U have to first install the top then open it out.Make a recess and gt a woodpiece to fit it in.and glue them in or screw a small lengt screw in and ur doene.

Advertisement

HiFi is offline   Reply With Quote