Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #1

Share |

partition wall of plumb 3/4" in 8 feet, help

So I am in the middle of a kitchen re-mod and I am looking at the wall seperating the kitchen from dinning room, it has a 3" opening that's finished in drywall. I though something looked wierd so I put a 6.5 foot level on the wall and was just shocked? I had my drywall guy look at it and it appears the each side of the opening is opening toward the dinning roomat the bottom plate. I.e. there is a 3/4 gap at the bottom plate on the kitchen side and a 3/4" gap towards the header on the opposite side in the dinning room. Opening a can of worms to fix???

Drywall guy said cut the nails holding the bottom plate to the slab on each side of the door opening and knock the bottom plate on each side in towards the kitchen and re-bolt the bottom plate to the slab then re-do the drywall.

This is not a loadbearing wall, does this sound correct?

titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Sounds like someone was not using a plumb bob & 4-6' level. Also standing at the farthest point away from the wall can tell you visually if out of plumb.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

No. Do not move either the top or the bottom UNTIL you determine (by comparative measuring) whether it is the top or the bottom that is out of line.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #4

How would I do this comparitive measurement? I will post a photo but what I think is happening is the two bottom plates start to open up into the dinning room about 20 inches from the opening on each side. I think I placed a square in the corner and the wall is opening up at the bottom much more than the top. Am I missing anything?
Old 09-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Plumb Bob as I mentioned before. If you have a bolt & some string, that will work. Hang the line from the ceiling by the wall, and it will tell you were it is out of plumb.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #6

Comparative measuring would be measuring at the ceiling and then the floor from your non-plumb wall to a plumb wall running parallel to it. Before moving the wall determine if it contains plumbing electrical or heating that might be damaged by moving the wall.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #7

here are the photos with the plumb Bob.

The first picture is on the kitchen side. I am holding the string at the top of the finished drywall 8 feet off the floor. The second photo I am holding the string at the top of the door opening. If I hold the string at the top of the ceiling the string hits the wall. In photo 2 the tape measure is in the kitchen side.

And yes I can see the wall is out of plum, a stranger would not unless I pointed it out.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

First pic tells nothing, second still shows nothing. In order to see if out of plumb or not, you need to step back as stated before, then take the picture. That means getting a nice shot from the front or back facing the doorway as if you are walking through. That would show us how far out of plumb.

And when taking measurements, you measure at the top, the middle top, the bottom middle, then the top of the Plumb and figure out how far out of plumb. Now, if you can find one of the old timers that used to do this stuff back in the days, they could tell you without even pulling out the tape measure how far out of plumb the door way is.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #9

I'd only try to fix the lean if it bothers you enough to do all the work involved. Looks like carpet would be short to meet the wall if you kicked the base plate over 3/4" to resolve plumb.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #10

The flooring is all being replaced.