Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Share |

Pantry Sliding Shelves

We're in the process of finishing our pantry. (I'm investigating revolving shelves in another topic).

How is the best way to install sliding shelves? My space is 41"Wx67"Hx34"D. The walls are sheetrock.

I would like to install (3) 16" deep sliding shelves spaced 16 high with a fixed shelf on top.

Should I install regular shelves, then bottom mount other shelves w/slides on them or just wall mount the shelf slides to 3/4" panels? (41"x16" shelves)

What kind of materials and plywood should I use?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Pantry Sliding Shelves-pantry.jpg  

Last edited by nicksteel; 04-07-2011 at 10:38 AM.
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #2

Pantry Sliding Shelves

Just me, but I'd think that shelves 16" deep when slid out would require something pretty substantial to hold them up. Maybe you could do an entire rack/shelf assy. on tracks or casters that rolled out of the space to load and then slid right back in? Even make and mount a door right to the end that closes the opening when the assy. rolls back into place.

ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #3

Pantry Sliding Shelves

I've found 100# slides that should work. I am considering installing 3/4" panels on the walls and attaching side mounted slides to 3/4" thick shelves with 4" sides. I don't think the shelf and food will exceed 100#.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #4

Pantry Sliding Shelves

You can buy slides in a seemingly endless variety of configurations and capacities, but I agree with Dave; for a space such as that, my recommendation would be essentially a cart. Sometthing attractive, perhaps with doors to conceal it, as Dave mentioned, but I would probably consider buidling it with a finished end, so that when it is pushed in, it is more-or-less its' own door. You could incorporate some guides, bumpers, or whatever you want to call them, so that it aligns itself to the opening, and arrange it by frequency of use, so that it would not be pulled all of the way too often, by maybe putting extra paper goods, holiday decorations, or whatever at the very back.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #5

Pantry Sliding Shelves

This is for a pantry that will also have door mounted can racks.

I found this.

http://www.shelvesthatslide.com/mm5/...tegory_Code=SS
Old 04-08-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
just a tool guy

Pantry Sliding Shelves

For a pull out pantry I've had an idea rattlin' around for a while.I saw one built into a camping trailer. Behind an eighteen inch wide, floor to ceiling door, was a pullout. Five or six shelves as I remember.The whole thing was mounted on a trolley(think skateboard) and stabilized by two side mount drawer glides about 2/3 up from the floor. Essentially a cabinet within a cabinet. The whole thing pulled out, and was accessible from both sides.The darned thing had dozens of cans, flour, and sugar bags, etc. Total weight was probably 200 pounds. I'm sure that you could find one like it online, or your local cabinet guy could build you one...but a truly handy fella could probably build one for him(her)self for pennies on the dollar.

One of these hammers will fix it.
mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #7

Pantry Sliding Shelves

Current plan:

1. Mount 3/4" 16" wide panels on each side wall.

2. Install side mount slides.

3. Build 16"x39" trays with 1"x4" sides, 1/2" plywood bottoms.
Will use light weight angle to support bottom and reinforce 39" width.

Am hunting best price full extend 100 lb. rated slides now.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Old School

Pantry Sliding Shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksteel View Post
Current plan:

1. Mount 3/4" 16" wide panels on each side wall.

2. Install side mount slides.

3. Build 16"x39" trays with 1"x4" sides, 1/2" plywood bottoms.
Will use light weight angle to support bottom and reinforce 39" width.

Am hunting best price full extend 100 lb. rated slides now.
Mounting the plywood on the walls won't guarantee that they will be parallel to eachother. Installing slides to them will be a challenge getting the front edges to be on the same plane. I suggest making a slide in box to fit the opening with the slides mounted to that. You can use an existing door, or put a door on the front.

You might find good pricing on slides here.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #9

Pantry Sliding Shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Mounting the plywood on the walls won't guarantee that they will be parallel to eachother. Installing slides to them will be a challenge getting the front edges to be on the same plane. I suggest making a slide in box to fit the opening with the slides mounted to that. You can use an existing door, or put a door on the front.
The existing double doors on the closet are 35 1/2" wide. I'll figure out how wide a 16" deep box will rotate into the 41" wide interior and see. I would have to put a back on the box to keep everything "true", but it is doable. Probably easier, as you say.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantry Sliding Shelves-pantry.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #10

Pantry Sliding Shelves

I mounted 2 16"x48" 3/4" panels to the walls to check. They are within 1/16" of being parallel all over. I am building a temporary tray to check for fit before I build actual trays. The 100# side slides could have spacers behind them if necessary.

I have just enough 3/4" birch plywood to make the tray bottoms. I am thinking about building a border frame with 1x3 and screwing/glueing the bottom to it to avoid screwing into the end of the plywood. The slides will be screwed onto the sides of the 1x3. Other alternative is to put angle around the inside bottom of the 1x3's and drop the plywood bottoms in. I don't want to put a 1x1 ledge inside to hold the bottom as it uses up another inch of vertical shelf capacity.

As always, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
mem

Pantry Sliding Shelves

I think it would look better and be stronger if you'd cut a dado into the sides and fit the bottom in. Or even rabbet the frame to recess the bottom. Might want to go with 1x4's if you need the side height.
mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #12

Pantry Sliding Shelves

Finally ordered 3 of these. Will have 3 additional fixed shelves on top and wire door racks for cans.

http://www.shelvesthatslide.com/mm5/...tegory_Code=SS

I do have one remaining problem. Mildew. The closet has no circulation and we have had to clean the walls for mildew. We are going to put a coat of mildew resistant paint, but need to add some manner of circulation.

Any suggestions for mounting a small low power fan on one of the doors? Can't go through the walls.

I've thought of some kind of motion sensor that would turn on for a few minutes each time someone walks past, as it is high traffic area or some kind of timer. Possibly could use a computer cooling fan.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
mem

Pantry Sliding Shelves

Louvered doors would do the trick. Or at least vents in the top and bottom of your existing doors. Neither option costs anything to run.
mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #14

Pantry Sliding Shelves

Quote:
Originally Posted by mem View Post
Louvered doors would do the trick. Or at least vents in the top and bottom of your existing doors. Neither option costs anything to run.
I'm going to try this first, then add fan if necessary. I have just found this fan.

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Stealth...975111&sr=1-40

I would prefer installing a fan to ensure circulation, if I could find a timer that would come on for 5 minutes or so every hour. Our house has very efficient insulation and is practically air tight, necessary for South Mississippi. The heat pump lowers the humidity in the summer, but less during the winters. I think any circulation in the closet would help. Would like to find something energy efficient as the whole house was build for energy efficiency.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #15

Pantry Sliding Shelves

I ordered from the same place.