Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

Pantry Shelves Spacing

i'm adding 4 pine shelves to a closet pantry that's about 7'9" high. i would like to have more space at the very top for paper towels, etc. 2 questions:

1) how would you space them apart?

2) how high should the lip on the shelves be?

Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #2

Pantry Shelves Spacing

Scully,
You didn't say the magic words after several people offered advice on your other pantry shelf thread.

zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #3

Pantry Shelves Spacing

I will bi-pass the first reply and venture on. There is no standard spacing...in fact, I try to give varying size openings in consideration to canned goods, boxed dinners, cereal boxes, etc. You know how much of certain height products you will store so plan for that. I would suggest adjustable shelf standards that come in 4' or 6' lengths that you attach to the sides of the pantry and install the clips where you want.

Shelf lips are personal preferance, also. For strength, I go with a 1x2 nailed and glued to the front of the shelf. Most times I go flush on the top edgs. Sometimes I round both top edges of the 1x2 and raise the edge up for a 1/4" lip. If you are going to put a mixer and bread machine on a shelf, I would install a strip on the back of the shelf, also.
MNsawyergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Pantry Shelves Spacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNsawyergp View Post
I will bi-pass the first reply and venture on. There is no standard spacing...in fact, I try to give varying size openings in consideration to canned goods, boxed dinners, cereal boxes, etc. You know how much of certain height products you will store so plan for that. I would suggest adjustable shelf standards that come in 4' or 6' lengths that you attach to the sides of the pantry and install the clips where you want.
The standards mentioned, and the clips that come with them or for them are easy to find. You can cut them to any length with a hacksaw or usually the store you purchase them from will do it for you. They are not especially expensive. You have to make sure you put them in place parallel and with them in the same place up, down and side to side. An accurate measuring tape would be a good investment.

Other thing you can do is layout a series of holes along two parallel lines say an inch or so apart. Width between the parallel lines will fit the depth of your pantry cabinet.

Piece of paper will work. Measuring carefully, tack the paper in place on either side of your pantry and using an ice pick or something similar, transfer the centers of the holes to the sides of your cabinet. Drill holes to match the diameter of shelf pins you can buy for chimp change. Lay your shelves on the pins. Good to go. This is very IKEAish.

However, you did not say how wide your pantry space? If you your pantry is wide and you plan on putting giant cans of rendered fat on some shelves you will have to support them in the middle. You can cut simple blocks of wood, pvc pipe or whatever for this. Bricks will work too.

Last edited by user1007; 02-15-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added Images
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote