Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Pantry drawer slide recommendations?

I'm building my own kitchen cabinets and so far, so good (see the attached photo). These are face frame cabinets, and I'm basically following the method described in Udo Schmidt's fine book.

The face frames are constructed out of 3/4" birch and the boxes are 3/4" birch plywood. The face frames are (mostly) 1.5" wide (2.5" at the top and also where some of the cabinets join together).

Anyways, we want to have pullout "drawers" in the pantry and I'm having a hard time figuring out which slides to use. I want them to be bulletproof, self-closing, and soft-close would be very nice. I plan to have 5 pullouts in the pantry (3 in the middle section and 2 in the bottom part) and I don't mind spending a bit on the slides. Also, space is at a premium in our small kitchen, so I'd prefer not to waste any more space than necessary.

Your recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantry drawer slide recommendations?-pantry.jpg  

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

I use Fulterer #FR771 panty slides, The entire unit with 5 baskets slide out with the door and has soft closing. If you want individual pull outs, which are much less convenient than go with Blum blumotion slides.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
I use Fulterer #FR771 panty slides, The entire unit with 5 baskets slide out with the door and has soft closing. If you want individual pull outs, which are much less convenient than go with Blum blumotion slides.
Thanks for the suggestion. My only concern with this is that it takes up quite a lot of vertical space. I was thinking that instead I could use, say, 5 blumotion slides, then attach the pullout shelves to the door, so that it pulls out as one unit. It seems like this would achieve a similar effect as the Fulterer pantry slide, while saving several inches of vertical space. An added benefit (in my particular case) is that I could have 2 medium-sized doors---one with 3 slides and one with 2 slides---as opposed to one huge pantry door. What do you think?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

could be done. No real benefit. The slides I mentioned come in almost every height. I did make one cabinet with two pullouts tied to the door face. These need to be perfectly laid out to pull out smoothly. Not worth the effort. Having all separate pullouts is less convenient unless you memorize where you store everything. The space lost by the slides is more than the space lost by the fulerter units.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #5

Quote:
could be done. No real benefit. The slides I mentioned come in almost every height. I did make one cabinet with two pullouts tied to the door face. These need to be perfectly laid out to pull out smoothly. Not worth the effort. Having all separate pullouts is less convenient unless you memorize where you store everything. The space lost by the slides is more than the space lost by the fulerter units.

Thanks again. It looks like the Fulterer unit you mentioned needs 59mm on top and 80mm, which is about 5.5":

http://www.cabinetparts.com/inc/pdf/...798525c6b9.pdf

Since I currently have 2 separate pantry openings (about 28" on bottom and 35" on top), that seems like a lot of space to give up. I guess I can pretty easily modify my design to get one large opening, in which case the space is less of an issue.

OK, so here's one more question. The Fulterer website indicates that spaces wider than 18" or higher than 72" should have 2 of these slides. My (modified) space will be about 65" high and about 23" wide. Based on your experience, do you think it is really necessary to have 2 of the slides (assuming the weight doesn't exceed the 275 lb limit)?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

you already have a cabinet made, use units that fit into these openings. like this one on the same site.

90002173490 HSA 4 BASKET PANTRY 19.29"-SAPHIR
Old 03-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #7

I have built my own kitchen cabinets with pantry pull outs as well as appliance lifts, and soft closing drawers. All of the neccessary hardware I got from Lee Valley tools. My research found that these gave me the highest load bearing as well as the overall endurance. For me I have found them to be the best value. Nothing worse than having your lady load the shelves to the max, ( as they always will) and having the system fail twist or worse yet collapse.

cheers
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
you already have a cabinet made, use units that fit into these openings. like this one on the same site.

90002173490 HSA 4 BASKET PANTRY 19.29"-SAPHIR
Well that looks nice, but it's over $800 for the one that I'd need. I think I can simply buy the slider you mentioned previously (about $180) and build wooden boxes and supports for a small fraction of that cost. It doesn't seem all that difficult, unless I'm missing something...
Old 03-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

I buy mine in kits, with the baskets. Making individual boxes and getting them to attach balance and adjust is more than it is worth. Is this for your own kitchen? If so, you may accept the individual Blum slides and pullouts. And try to make them work together with a test door front. It will work, just a lot of tweaking. But the Blum can be adjusted many ways.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #10

you might want to check this out
[URL="http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=50508&cat=3,43614,43616&ap=1"]
Old 03-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #11

Quote:
I buy mine in kits, with the baskets. Making individual boxes and getting them to attach balance and adjust is more than it is worth. Is this for your own kitchen? If so, you may accept the individual Blum slides and pullouts. And try to make them work together with a test door front. It will work, just a lot of tweaking. But the Blum can be adjusted many ways.
Yes, these are for my kitchen. Last questions (I promise...). Is there any reason to prefer undermount slides to side mount slides? I was thinking I might use the former and get a little extra space in the width. Finally, my pantry is 24 5/8" to the front of the face frame (3/4" less to the back of the face frame). So what is the optimal length for the slides? Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
Remodeling Contractor

21" slides. I use undermount for these reasons... they work much smoother and I get more side to side space and I have more adjustments available. Only need to deduct 1/4" clearance. Side mounts need 1" less. You are using face frame so you loose at the frame also. I make frameless cabinets. Rockler just started stocking some new full extension soft close slides that looked interesting.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixrite View Post
you might want to check this out
[URL="http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=50508&cat=3,43614,43616&ap=1"]
I took a look at these, but I'd be reluctant to buy anything that doesn't have a brand name associated with it. I sent an email asking what brand these are, and I got this rather strange response:

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately we do not provide the manufacturer information to anyone in order to protect our suppliers after a considerable investment in sourcing different products from around the world. The only exception to that rule is when the supplier name is on the product, or the packaging material, and in this case, it is not.

We can tell you the country of origin for these slides is Taiwan

Regards,

Terry Eix
Internet Customer Service Representative
Old 03-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #14

All I can say is I have used these in the 100's and not one was faulty in any way. Have not had a problem returning anything to them either, as they do stand behind their products. If you do not feel comfortable then maybe Lee Valley is not a store you should deal with.

Cheers