Painting Deck Railing/Pergola - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Painting Deck Railing/Pergola

I am in the design phase of an elevated deck with an integrated pergola. We've decided to use composite decking material, but I was really put off by the prices for the composite railing. Moreover, the composite materials don't really accommodate the pergola design.

We'd like to have white railings and an all white pergola. What do you suggest as far as lumber and paint? I know that when painting PT it is necessary to wait a few months for it to dry out. Is there an alternative? What if I used cedar? Any other thoughts?

How about paint? What type of primer do you recommend? What type of paint? How often will it be necessary to repaint?

ANy other suggestions?

Advertisement

stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cedar would be an alternative to pressure treated. I would oil prime the wood and top coat it with a good latex paint.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Ron- Thanks. So in this instance cedar would be your preference? As opposed to say just letting the PT dry out? If I use cedar, can I paint it right away, without letting it dry, etc?

Also, do you have a specific brand of paint you'd recommend for this project? We'd like a nice glossy white.

Thanks!
stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubits View Post
Ron- Thanks. So in this instance cedar would be your preference? As opposed to say just letting the PT dry out? If I use cedar, can I paint it right away, without letting it dry, etc?

Also, do you have a specific brand of paint you'd recommend for this project? We'd like a nice glossy white.

Thanks!
Cedar is a softer wood the the pt southern yellow pine, but in a railing situation, the amount of abuse it gets is minimal, compared to the decking. You can also use redwood as an alternative. Both the cedar and redwood have less of a chance of warping then the PT wood. There's also less of a possibility that the wood will check or split.
I personally like Behr paint. Last time I looked, it was highly rated by Comsumer's Reports. But Benjamin Moore along with other makers sell a good product.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote