DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

to paint or not to paint! that is the question

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  bigchaz 
#1 ·
I just built an exterior front porch made of treated lumber. I heard that painting is not a good idea because I will be re-painting in a couple of years. I live in the midwest. I was told to just give it a coat of sealer and UV inhibitor. I would like to paint the porch so that it blends in with the fabric of the house from an architectural stand point. any thoughts? what is the correct way to seal the porch?

thanks for all your advice/help!
:thumbsup:

#3 ·
To get the look you are wanting, you will want to go with a solid stain, not a paint. Give the wood a few weeks to dry out and then clean and brighten the wood. Prime with a oil based primer. I use cabots problem solver primer. Final step coat with a solid stain. I also use cabots for this. You can mix it to a whole selection of colors.

Painting the wood, especially new pressure treated is guarantee for peeling bubbling and wear

#4 ·
:thumbsup: Thanks Bigchaz,

when you say "coat with a solid stain" do you mean that i can get that stain in all kinds of colors? for example, i want to use two colors, Evergreen Green & White. Can i get stain in those colors? and will the stain look like paint? Will people notice the difference?

Thanks

#5 ·
Most brands should be able to mix up the stain in any color. Since its solid, they can add all kinds of different pigment.

As for looking like a paint, im not sure what that means. It will be a solid color and you wont see any wood like a paint. I don't think you can get a solid stain in a glossy look like you can with a paint, but you wouldn't want to use a gloss on a floor anyway.

Are you looking to use the white on the rails of the porch? If so I totally recommend product cabot pro vt stain. you can buy it in white already and its self priming. Heres an idea of how it comes out:

Attachments

#6 ·
those pictures look great. I want to use white on the vertical spindels and all posts and the green on all horizontals and top rails. what do you suggest i do with all floor surfaces? i have heard of Benjamin moore selling a porch and floor paint that is high gloss but i think that will eventually bubble and come off.

#7 ·
Ive never used a solid on floor surface, but like I was saying look for something rated as a stain. A good solid stain allows the wood to breath, whereas a paint creates a film. Since wood expands and contracts, the solid stain will do a better job moving with the wood. I always recommend cabots since its the only homeowner available product ive ever used that seems semi decent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.