Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #1

Share |

Overhang sag issue.

Hey guys, quick question (hopefully haha) I'm a bit stumped on what would be my best approach to tackle this project.

First a little insight on what i've done so far:

I received a steel door, so I tore down the wall (rotten) and framed a new wall with the door and a bigger window it in, but near the top is where my issue lies.

The garage is not perfectly straight with the house line, so therefor the overhang at the end (away from the house) is roughly 2ft, and has a bit of sag (im guessing because of the length and improper support of it). the overhang at the house is roughly 15 inches.

So, as you can see from the pictures I have linked in, there are 2, 2x4's that protrude from inside the garage, one attached to the house siding, and the other, just screwed to the rafters.

So, basically I'm wondering what I should do?

Do I cut the overhang/roof so it matches the 15inches all the way down, and throw some 2x8 bracing between the rafters for support?

Thanks in advance.

r0yal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Overhang sag issue.

It looks like the varge rafter and sheathing or shingle mold are rotted anyway. Mays well.
Its going to look wrong if you make it all 15 because its so out of square with the house, but I think it's the lessor of the 2 evils.
The outriggers (the 2x4's holding it up) are supposed to be every 2', "let-in" (notched) into the top of the rafters, against the roof sheathing, back 2' or to the 1st rafter inside the garage, whichever is greater, for proper support.
In other words, when you have the facia off, notch the rafter that's at the wall line, sneak it in until it butts the next rafter. If that rafter is less than 2' inside, notch that one also and keep sliding the 2x4 in until it butts the next one. End nail it there, just like at the facia when you put that back up.
Its going to be tough to make those notches, butt it's the right way.
You have a quite a mess there, I think you know. It just depends on how much time and money you want to put in it.
Are you going to put any soffit in?
That osb really needs to get out of the weather.
Is that comp shingles or rolled I take it?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

Last edited by titanoman; 12-23-2011 at 12:25 AM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #3

Overhang sag issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
It looks like the varge rafter and sheathing or shingle mold are rotted anyway. Mays well.
Its going to look wrong if you make it all 15 because its so out of square with the house, but I think it's the lessor of the 2 evils.
The outriggers (the 2x4's holding it up) are supposed to be every 2', "let-in" (notched) into the top of the rafters, against the roof sheeting, back 2' or to the 1st rafter inside the garage, whichever is greater, for proper support.
You have a quite a mess there, I think you know. It just depends on how much time and money you want to put in it.
Are you going to put any soffit in?
That osb really needs to get out of the weather.
Is that comp shingles or rolled I take it?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
Haha yupp, Ive got a big mess here, damn old houses, and scabby previous owners doing diy's.

Yeah, there is a bunch of rot there on the edges of the osb.

I guess my best bet, would be to pull the first row of osb sheets (they are rotten on the edges anyways) and then I could cut some outriggers in, like you said.

Yes, I plan on putting some soffit in. they had plywood soffit up there originally.

as far as the shingles on the garage, im not sure what comp shingles are? I believe these ones are rolled, its just a couple solid pieces over the whole area.
r0yal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Retired carpenter

Overhang sag issue.

There's so many thing wrong with that roof, that I would leave it as it is until you're ready to reroof the whole garage, replacing the sheathing where neccesary, adding lookouts to support the overhang, using proper roofing edges, etc.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote