Opinion On Closet Door Trim - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Opinion on closet door trim

Greetings all,

I'm new here (first post) but from what I've read in looking for my solution I think this is a great place!

My wife and I are near the end of a bedroom/bathroom remodel and have a question about what, if any, trim to use around a new closet. I've attached a photo of the new construction (I hope) so you can see what I'm asking about.

The left wall of the closet meets up next to the doorway into the bedroom. On the right side, at the bottom, you can see where the wall ended prior to the closet being added.

The question I have is, should we trim around the closet to match the existing trim in the room or just put a matching piece to terminate the trim at the bottom right? I saved enough trim from the tear-out to accommodate the window we moved but may not have enough matching trim for the closet.

Is it acceptable to leave this small space (36" inside) without trim or will that look silly when the time comes to sell (years away, not on the radar, but someday).

Thanks for your advice.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Opinion on closet door trim-closet.jpg  

Advertisement

dmhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

Since you may not be able to match the existing without too much expense you could use two blocks at the bottom, (similar to the existing), case the door with narrower stock, and match the short baseboard piece, (bottom left)

Advertisement

Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I do have a plinth similar to what is at the bottom of the bedroom doorway and my idea was to use that to "finish" the piece coming off the wall to the right of the closet.

My wife thinks this will look "ridiculous" and wants me to trim from the bedroom door, the base of the closet's left wall, miter a piece to complete the corner and then put a plinth at either side of the closet door, as all the other (original) doors in the house have.

That little bit I might have enough baseboard trim for but then she also thinks the closet should be trimmed all the way around and that's where we definitely don't have enough of the original to match.

If enough people with finish carpentry post an answer saying it's "okay" to just end the wall moulding with a plinth and leave the closet as is then the project will be done this weekend. Otherwise who knows.

Thanks again!
dmhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

It's OK. But...
Depends on what you (really She) wants
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

looking at the plinth and base I think a simple 1x, and a piece of band molding on top would be about as close as you could get. Try BROSCO numbers 8180 or 8469 or panel molding 8161
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote