DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

open span under hipped roof.....

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SickPuppy 
#1 ·
looking for info and I know nothing so any info is appreciated:

I live in an area that gets 1-2 winter ice storms and 1 to 3 snow storms with a max of maybe 10 inches of snow per storm melting off inbetween storms. Summers are hot. I have purchased a house built in 1967. It is a split level with a hipped roof.

The roof is framed up with 2x6s. Is this considered a 'heavy' roof (as opposed to a 'light' roof)? I don't know the pitch, but I think it's standard--maybe 6 feet for every 15 feet?

The lower level is living room/kitchen/den. One end is hipped while the other butts up to the upper level wall. The complete span on this lower level is 30x26. Rafters (also 2x6s) are running the 30 feet distance. The 'regular pitch' top beam is running the 26 feet distance.

There is one wall, approximately 10 feet long, running parallell to the rafters. Over this wall and above the rafters is a perpendicular beam (2x6) about 9-10 feet from exterior wall -- it's carrying bracing for the roof on that side.

There is a second wall, I'm gonna call 'wall 2', is approx. 17' long and runs perpendicular to rafters. Over this wall is bracing for the roof sitting directly on the wall framing-- NO beam on rafters here.

Of course, I want to tear out both these walls which would leave the space completely open, making a 30x26 room. Can I put that bracing sitting on 'wall 2' onto a beam like on the other wall? Will that distribute weight properly/be strong enough for this span? Or will it result in too much weight on those rafters/too large a span?

I'd much rather not do a header...help?

See less See more
#3 ·
A picture (drawing) is worth 1000 words.
You may be confusing the terminology a bit. "The complete span on this lower level is 30x26. Rafters (also 2x6s) are running the 30 feet distance." Are you referring to collar ties?

#4 ·
Thank you Clutchcargo just for responding! I'm gittin' a bit frustrated having no one even offer up the proper names for stuff. I know I know nothing, yet, but I'm learning. I will leanr it all before I do anything (even hire an engineer because they make mistakes too and I certainly can't afford to hire 3 engineers for a consensus! lol. I must know something first....)

If I have found the right info on collar ties, collar ties tie together the top rafters (boards which extend off the top center beam), no, I don't mean collar tie. I think I mean ceiling joists.... ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.