Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Caution! Girl working

Share |

oopse...

Hello,
My headboard, after about 8 months, was showing this weird shiney finish where the pillows were bumping it. It's hard to photograph, but it looks and feels like a wax coating or something on the wood that's being rubbed off/moved around by the friction from pillows. I don't use fabric softener or anything so I don't think it's coming from the pillows.

A carpenter friend suggested I 'clean' it with 0000 steel wool and denatured alcohol, which I've used before to clean wood flooring and works very well. Unfortunately, it didn't work so well in this case.

The second photo shows how the half I tried looks now...It's not damage to the wood, I can still scrape off this weird, waxy coating with a fingernail.

First, what is this waxy stuff? And, second, is there something I can use to get it off without damaging the wood?
Attached Thumbnails
oopse...-waxy-mush.jpg   oopse...-oopse.jpg  

ADaniLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

oopse...

Hair grease? Or do you sleep with your arms above your head, rubbing against the headboard?

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Caution! Girl working

oopse...

It's not hair grease for sure - I shower and dry my hair before going to bed and don't use any gel or anything. It could be skin oil from my arms but it's so waxy...I can push it around with a fingernail. If it were skin oil, it should have come clean with 409 spray cleaner, which is the first thing I tried and it made absolutely no difference.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

oopse...

Maybe u should try Murphies oil or something made to clean wood.

Nice headboard btw,
Tham

I'm pretty sure that furniture polish is made from wax they musta used alot in the finishing of it.

Last edited by Tham; 06-12-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #5

oopse...

What is the finish?
If it is shellac then the Alcohol will work as the shellac uses alcohol as a solvent and it will help repair damage to it.
It it is a lacquer based finish then the alcohol will disolve and start to remove it. I would start with something like Murpheys Oil soap to try to clean it. It is generaly safe for most wood finishes.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Caution! Girl working

oopse...

Excellent idea! I'll try with Murphy's Oil Soap and, if that doesn't work I'll see if the manufacturer will tell me what the finish is and proceed from there. THANKS!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #7

oopse...

It also looks like you have sanded across the grain and may be part of the reason that the marks are more noticeable.

When you do get what you require (or at least what you hope so), try testing it in a part of the headboard that you will not see to make sure that you are not going to do more damage than good.

Keep us posted to your progress.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #8

oopse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADaniLion View Post
It's not hair grease for sure - It could be skin oil from my arms
Why should your arms keep having to contact the headboard? Is it to grip it or something? Just curious...
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Retired Cabinetmaker

oopse...

"Friction of the pillows?".......................................so rry but I am trying not to imagine

OK....seriously.....I have come across this before with conversion lacquer or conversion varnish.
If the parts are not mixed correctly then they do not harden in a manner consistent with this type of two part finish. Most commercial finishes are done with this product. It works like Bondo. If denaturized alcohol doesn't work I would call the manufacturer. When working with wood and stains, always work with the grain and not across it.
Mike