Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Oops - put a hole in my stairs.

I moved into a 1951 cape and found original hardwood under all the carpet. While removing the carpet to have the floors redone I ended up busting up some wood underneath one of the stairs. Because it's "curved" and I have no experience with carpentry I don't know how to fix this. Any suggestions?

I attached the pictures to this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Oops - put a hole in my stairs.-img00029-20090917-0600.jpg   Oops - put a hole in my stairs.-img00028-20090917-0600.jpg  

Last edited by dvation191; 09-17-2009 at 10:40 AM.
dvation191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #2

You'd have to fill most of the gap with wood or some sort of backer, but you could make it look good by doing 3 or 4 layers of Bondo auto body filler. It hardens quickly, but it would be a good idea to do multiple layers of it instead of one big glob. After it is dry it can be sanded, primed and painted.

Bondo is a great material and is commonly used by carpenters to fill voids, cracks, knotholes, etc.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #3

Any idea what I should use for backer behind the hole and how I should secure it?
dvation191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
contractor

you could cut a piece of 2x4 to the correct curve and then nail/glue/screw it into place as a backer. Then fill with bondo, sand and paint.
Meetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 8

I don't disagree with kc's recommendation, but may I add: I would look at using, what I know to be, "luan" plywood to fill this space as much as possible before using any epoxy type filler, which I have done. "Luan" to me is plywood,or even a thin sheet of wood, about 1/8" or so in thickness. I keep some at home for such as this, I know you don't. I would try a craft store to see what they may carry, maybe in the area where they have the model planes, cars, etc. This "luan" material is wood, will bend easily, can be cut with a razor knife (be careful), or fine tooth blade coping saw. As stated-I use it to fill spaces such as this, using wood glue (Titebond II) to glue this in, then after this dries good, I use the "Bondo" for wood to finish it off. After filling in with Bondo, a lot of sanding is in order, then it will be ready for prime and paint. Not a quick fix, but I would want that are to look really nice. YOU can do this, go for it. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
General Contractor

You can get thin veneer strips (24" x 96") from lee valley. Place a metal reinforced drywall patch over the hole and then run the veneer over the existing riser material.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvation191 View Post
I moved into a 1951 cape and found original hardwood under all the carpet. While removing the carpet to have the floors redone I ended up busting up some wood underneath one of the stairs. Because it's "curved" and I have no experience with carpentry I don't know how to fix this. Any suggestions?

I attached the pictures to this post.
You can use autobody filler to close up the void.
It comes in a container and with a hardener.
You mix the hardener with enough filler material to fill the void. Then plaster the filler into the hole, taking care to smooth over the surface to match the general area.
When the filler has set it can then be filled, sanded and painted over.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote