Old Enclosed Patio - Need To Fix - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

old enclosed patio - need to fix

30 yr old enclosed patio. Walls are plastic windows and some sort of laminated cardboard stuff. Walls failing (water damage). Money tight...cannot afford to totally rebuild. What is the name of the cardboard stuff and can this be "fixed" to survive a few more years? Ie, can the damaged pannels be replaced without tearing down the whole thing and if so how?

Advertisement

glaucousmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,518

Welcome to the forum.

In this case posting a few pictures would be a great help in helping you.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #3

will post pics tomorrow. need to borrow a camera and take pic. Patio = aluminum roof, aluminum frame, plastic windows, and fake wood looking panneling, about 3" thick, laminated on outside, corrugated cardboard (thick - industrial looking) on inside of pannel. pannels have water damage and cardboard got wet and expanded and falling appart. Just need to seal patio back up - don't care what it looks like. I think some of the sealing needs to be fixed (where it joins the cement slab, and the pannels need to be removed and replaced with ?????? Just needs to last a bit.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaucousmc View Post
will post pics tomorrow. need to borrow a camera and take pic. Patio = aluminum roof, aluminum frame, plastic windows, and fake wood looking panneling, about 3" thick, laminated on outside, corrugated cardboard (thick - industrial looking) on inside of pannel. pannels have water damage and cardboard got wet and expanded and falling appart. Just need to seal patio back up - don't care what it looks like. I think some of the sealing needs to be fixed (where it joins the cement slab, and the pannels need to be removed and replaced with ?????? Just needs to last a bit.
It sounds like someone enclosed a covered patio incorrectly to make it a room. before I did any renovations, I would check to see what the local building dept information had on the property.
It sounds like an illegal renovation.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #5

No, it was not illegal. fully permitted. I'm daughter of original owner. Know history. Just OLD.
The Following User Says Thank You to glaucousmc For This Useful Post:
aharmon (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #6

What was the solution on how to repair (plastic windows, rain damaged fake wood panels) old patios that has these problems. It is a legal enclosure with a permit. Did not not see the suggestions on where to purchase replacement materials? Prior posters did not give a solution. Please help.
aharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I have something that i think is similar. My house makes an "L" shape in the back which would be a patio. dinning room sliding door leads out. Previous owner had a kit installed with 2 sides and a roof than encloses the L shape. The prefab panels that make the walls have a plastic window above and a lower panel about 2 inches thick with stucco looking outside, beadboard inside and cardboard in the middle. On my patio the stucco looking outside had deteriorated and was letting water in which was molding the cardboard and wood beadboard. It leaked and smelled rotten, but I really wanted to use this as a play room so i needed to fix.

Replacement panels do not exist, so I knocked out all the lower panels and purchased "Hardie Panel" which is cement fiber board and impervious to moisture. It came in 4x8 sheets and I cut down to the aprox 2'x4' size needed for each lower panel, then I had to hand trim each panel specifically because of slight variations of the frame, getting it small enough to fit through the frame but big enough for overlap once inside. Because the Hardie Panel is not very flexable I actually had to trim the lips off the inside of the frames just to slide it in, did not matter because It would be covered. I custom trimed 2x2 boards to fit as vertical studs inside the frame behind the hardie panel. I added fiberglass insulation between the studs, then covered the inside with drywall. Outside I sealed the frame and hardie panel with caulk. This process was time consuming and took a couple weekends to accomplish, but was the only way I could come up with to save the patio.

Textured, painted trimmed and installed some carpet tiles directly on the cement. I removed the porch light and installed overhead lights and a small room AC. It works great as a playroom and has been through 2 full years now with no leaks.

Advertisement

Last edited by FixitDragon; 06-27-2013 at 04:30 PM.
FixitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote