Old Doors New Hinges - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

old doors new hinges

hello, here's my issue. i am adding some recycled doors to my remodel project. trying to match the existing doors. i am replacing the hinges, but some of the old doors are messed up. i was wondering if i should put the new hinges in the old places or should i router out new mortices? then filling the old mortice with wood putty. the doors are already painted. i heard the mortice is what gives it the strength, not the screws. some of these doors are really messed up. thanks for looking. any suggestions are very well appreiceated.

Advertisement

sheetmetal guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

old doors new hinges

putty would not be a good choice for filling the old hinge gains. fit a piece of wood in there and sand/paint as required.
I use 7 inches down to the top of the top hinge and 11" up to the bottom of the bottom hinge for 2 hinge doors.
7" down/7"up/centred for 3 hinge doors.

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
Willie T (03-25-2010)
Old 03-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,500

old doors new hinges

If your going to do any filling on the hinge side don't use putty. I always use "Evercoat Formula 27" its a marine grade bondo you mix with a hardener. Tough stuff and you can be sanding on it in about 30 min. Thats assuming the finish is paint.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

old doors new hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetmetal guy View Post
hello, here's my issue. i am adding some recycled doors to my remodel project. trying to match the existing doors. i am replacing the hinges, but some of the old doors are messed up. i was wondering if i should put the new hinges in the old places or should i router out new mortices? then filling the old mortice with wood putty. the doors are already painted. i heard the mortice is what gives it the strength, not the screws. some of these doors are really messed up. thanks for looking. any suggestions are very well appreiceated.
It's both. But mostly the screws. (sorry) If this were not the case, big barn doors and large, heavy fence gates would be mortised.

One of the best ways you can repair old, reamed-out screw holes is to completely drill the hole (each one) to 1/2", and insert 1/2" oak dowel pieces cut to length and glued in place. Then remount the hinges, screwing the screws into the new oak wood.

Drill the holes a couple of inches deep, and pilot drill 1/8", or so, holes for your hinge screws.

Last edited by Willie T; 03-25-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

old doors new hinges

Wilie has the right idea it's a lot less work and just as strong. The mortise is there to flush the hinge to the door.
william duffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doors , hinges , remodel