Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

old condo, older baseboards


Hi,

I recently moved into a 100+ year old building in Chicago. It was a rehab - some of the place is new, some clearly old (though I have no idea how old.)

Here's my question/problem.

The photos show the baseboards in about 80% of the house. We really like these and I've been searching for a comparable baseboard for the other 20% (which is currently just 2 flat pieces of wood used as baseboards, a total hack job).

These are 9" high, with another 1" piece slapped on top (as you can kind of tell on the 3rd photo). Upon closer inspection, they almost seem like 3 different pieces all stacked on top of each other. I guess what I'm asking, or hoping for is that someone is familiar with what is going on here. Was this a common method in say, 1940? Is this just another hack job that happens to look a little better? Is there any way to recreate these? Any ideas or tips? Thanks in advance!!

-Wade
Attached Thumbnails
old condo, older baseboards-baseboard1.jpg   old condo, older baseboards-baseboard2.jpg   old condo, older baseboards-baseboard3.jpg  


Last edited by wadealin; 01-06-2008 at 08:43 PM.
wadealin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 3,683
Rewards Points: 0
Default

old condo, older baseboards


Ayuh,......

While I doubt you're going to find Prefabed baseboards Just like what you have,.......
You could recreate it with various Mouldings, Or with a router set up.....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
remodeling pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,399
Rewards Points: 0
Default

old condo, older baseboards


Gotta admit, I have worked on a lot of old houses, but never seen anything remotely close to that. Looks like something that could have been manufactured by a local/regional mill shop. There were a couple of these in my area that made some pretty distinctive "in house" mouldings. Of course they went out of business 15 years ago, but guys that have been around a few years easily recognize the profiles.
Echo Bondo..if you cannot duplicate it satisfactorily with a combination of stock profiles, or pieces of them. you will have to go to the "tailgate mill works". Haven't run across any yet that couldn't be duplicated with a table saw, couple of router bits, and maybe some piece of a stock profile.
If you must tie in any high visibily/traffic areas, I try to rob some of the original from another room to use for this. If I need short pieces, I go to closets, but have robbed an entire room for parts, and then put all new in the separate room. It takes a extremely sharp eye to detect reasonably minor differences in the newly created stuff and the original when it is in two different rooms, especially once the furniture is in place.

TIP: If you make it, be sure to make more than you need during each step of the milling setup. There is no more sickening feeling than realizing that you will be short and have to do each setup again.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 01-12-2008 at 05:28 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
spray or brush baseboards? mathdan Painting 16 01-28-2013 05:39 PM
Remove baseboards before carpet installation? digexpressions Flooring 6 12-17-2007 09:46 AM
HELP: Bleeding Baseboards Roztom1 HVAC 2 10-11-2007 03:10 PM
Gaps at baseboards after carpet install cometbus Flooring 9 10-01-2007 07:48 PM
Need to remove baseboards that are glued and nailed recklessrick Painting 7 10-14-2005 05:20 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.