Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

old condo, older baseboards

Hi,

I recently moved into a 100+ year old building in Chicago. It was a rehab - some of the place is new, some clearly old (though I have no idea how old.)

Here's my question/problem.

The photos show the baseboards in about 80% of the house. We really like these and I've been searching for a comparable baseboard for the other 20% (which is currently just 2 flat pieces of wood used as baseboards, a total hack job).

These are 9" high, with another 1" piece slapped on top (as you can kind of tell on the 3rd photo). Upon closer inspection, they almost seem like 3 different pieces all stacked on top of each other. I guess what I'm asking, or hoping for is that someone is familiar with what is going on here. Was this a common method in say, 1940? Is this just another hack job that happens to look a little better? Is there any way to recreate these? Any ideas or tips? Thanks in advance!!

-Wade
Attached Thumbnails
old condo, older baseboards-baseboard1.jpg   old condo, older baseboards-baseboard2.jpg   old condo, older baseboards-baseboard3.jpg  

Last edited by wadealin; 01-06-2008 at 08:43 PM.
wadealin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,......

While I doubt you're going to find Prefabed baseboards Just like what you have,.......
You could recreate it with various Mouldings, Or with a router set up.....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Gotta admit, I have worked on a lot of old houses, but never seen anything remotely close to that. Looks like something that could have been manufactured by a local/regional mill shop. There were a couple of these in my area that made some pretty distinctive "in house" mouldings. Of course they went out of business 15 years ago, but guys that have been around a few years easily recognize the profiles.
Echo Bondo..if you cannot duplicate it satisfactorily with a combination of stock profiles, or pieces of them. you will have to go to the "tailgate mill works". Haven't run across any yet that couldn't be duplicated with a table saw, couple of router bits, and maybe some piece of a stock profile.
If you must tie in any high visibily/traffic areas, I try to rob some of the original from another room to use for this. If I need short pieces, I go to closets, but have robbed an entire room for parts, and then put all new in the separate room. It takes a extremely sharp eye to detect reasonably minor differences in the newly created stuff and the original when it is in two different rooms, especially once the furniture is in place.

TIP: If you make it, be sure to make more than you need during each step of the milling setup. There is no more sickening feeling than realizing that you will be short and have to do each setup again.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 01-12-2008 at 05:28 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote