Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 AM   #1

Share |

Old bay window support

20 year old Bay Window sagging no cable system for support, two pieces of decorative scroll wood underneath for support (they suck). I was going to dig down below the frost line and install concrete within a sonotube the place a metal jack on it up to the window with a heavy piece of metal shaped like a T from side to side then cover the jack with 5" vinyl to make it look good. Any thoughts or other ideas. Please advise.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #2

Old bay window support

Might be hard to jack up an old bay without breaking glass. Depnding on the install, I might just undo the fasteners and then re position the window correctly.
I'd put posts on each side or proper wall brackets to hold it in place.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Old bay window support

is window sagging in front or back? how much is sag? if in back against house? I think I'd try to build a beam, maybe 3 2X8" jack it up, lag bolt 2 of the 3 2X's up tight under window with 1/2 lag bolts into wall studs then cap with third, drill and plug showing 2X and paint to match house. if in front? maybe Jack up 1/4" higher than needed, add 2 decorative scroll under to allow for falling, lag bolt decorative scroll to wall studs, drill and plug to finished look

that's just me, seems simplest?
coupe.

by the way, you related to the drywall company in Avondale PA? I have relatives with that name
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Old bay window support

If you have enough room underneath, you can probably avoid the footers. Install some wood bracing and then build a box surround that matches the bay profile. The braces can be concealed inside the box, and proper insulation can also be installed.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
I have gas!

Old bay window support

For my bay, I first tried the cable system (that sucks too). I ended up having a couple of adjustable brackets made out of iron. It worked perfectly and I could dial in where I wanted the window.
COLDIRON (11-27-2011)