Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #1

Share |

Old 80" wood entry door replacement

I have a 35 year old wood entry door that is exactly 80" tall & fits perfectly in the old jamb, but it must be replaced. My remodeling guys advised going with a fiberglass door, to which I said OK. Today my remodeling guys removed the old wood door & took it to a building supply shop they use to have the new fiberglass door cut for hinges & holes to match my old one (the shop has a jig). When they got to the shop they called me & said all the new doors (fiberglass, steel, whatever) actually measure only 79" or 79 1/4" tall. Is this true? If so (& I know I could have a door custom-made, but time is of the essence), what are my options regarding getting the shorter door to fit? All I can think of is cutting & installing some extra wood at the top of the jamb to make up the difference, but I'm wondering how that would look with the side-lights I have that are framed in line with the top of the existing door frame/jamb. Any ideas will be appreciated.

janralix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #2

My door is fiberglass Therma-Tru & is 79 3/4" tall - the slab
With a little play (rubber seals) top & bottom that is 80"

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #3

Thanks...I'll check Therma-Tru.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Man of many hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by janralix View Post
I have a 35 year old wood entry door that is exactly 80" tall & fits perfectly in the old jamb, but it must be replaced. My remodeling guys advised going with a fiberglass door, to which I said OK. Today my remodeling guys removed the old wood door & took it to a building supply shop they use to have the new fiberglass door cut for hinges & holes to match my old one (the shop has a jig). When they got to the shop they called me & said all the new doors (fiberglass, steel, whatever) actually measure only 79" or 79 1/4" tall. Is this true? If so (& I know I could have a door custom-made, but time is of the essence), what are my options regarding getting the shorter door to fit? All I can think of is cutting & installing some extra wood at the top of the jamb to make up the difference, but I'm wondering how that would look with the side-lights I have that are framed in line with the top of the existing door frame/jamb. Any ideas will be appreciated.
I don't think that once the door is installed it would be very noticable if the lights did not match up perfectly. What I am more surprised about is that the installers could not do the job on-site. Not that you necessarily made a bad choice on contractors, but this should have been a half day (or less) job for someone experienced in replacing doors.
I would guess that they are charging you a great deal since they "had" to take the door to their shop, so I would expect a 'perfect' install; meaning that you should not have to do much to complete the job (less maybe a little trim paint).
Whomever contracted with you originally should have caught the difference in height in the first place or have suggested a pre-hung door.
JMTCW,
Brett
Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #5

Why can't they find an 80" door? I just bought one at Lowe's that measures 80" x 36" exactly.

If it helps any, it's made by Therma-Tru. Benchmark. Willowbrook. I don't know what the second two names have to do with anything, but that's what's written on my paper work.

How do you like that? You need a door this size and I found out tonight (after already purchasing just the door slab a couple months ago) that I probably can't use the one I have. Not because of the size. But something about the sidelights.

Keep looking. I got mine at Lowe's. You should be able to find the size you need, unless things are different in your part of the world.

Good luck. Who ever thought replacing a front door would be so complicated?
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #6

I checked Therma-Tru's website & went to Lowe's & measured the Therma-Tru fiberglass doors there: 79" or 79.25 ". Unbelieveable...

Thanks for trying to help.