DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   ok how do you do this? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/ok-how-do-you-do-151186/)

petros151 07-22-2012 06:13 PM

ok how do you do this?
 
1 Attachment(s)
here's a pic of my jig saw so how would I get close enough to cut the back part of this sick hole? What do you guys do in this case?

thanks!

jaydevries 07-22-2012 10:01 PM

cut it from the bottom or use roto zip or the scariest thing i have done was use a sawz all

jlmran 07-22-2012 10:23 PM

Keyhole saw?

mae-ling 07-22-2012 10:27 PM

Never had a sink that close.
Sure you are cutting on the sink cut-out line and not the edge of the lip line?

COLDIRON 07-23-2012 05:53 AM

Couple tips, you need an all purpose tool to get that close buy@ Harborfrieght, you also need special saw blades to do what your doing the cutting edge reverse so you don't tear the top up or chip.

I had a top like that years ago drove me crazy.

petros151 07-23-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mae-ling (Post 972150)
Never had a sink that close.
Sure you are cutting on the sink cut-out line and not the edge of the lip line?

I have the sink template and that's where it puts the back cut out edge. The actual front rim of the sink would be 1 3/4" back from the front of the counterto if I cut it like this.

How far from the front edge is a typical 22" sink set back? If I pull the whole template forward I could get the actual front rim of the sink be 1 1/2" back from the front edge of the countertop. Isn't that too far forward?

JulieMor 07-23-2012 07:35 AM

I have the same thing. When I made the tight cuts I used a ryoba saw. It makes a clean cut and the width of the blade makes it easy to cut a straight line. The one I have has fine teeth on one side and slightly coarser teeth on the other. It did the job.

woody4249 07-23-2012 09:56 AM

Minimum typically on a 25" deep c.top.
At the front the distance is 1 3/4" [1" overhang and 3/4" for the cabinet front facing]
Then you have to consider how to get to the sink clips.

Whats wrong with unscrewing the counter top and moving the c.top forward to cut this?

Mike

petros151 07-23-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woody4249 (Post 972376)
Minimum typically on a 25" deep c.top.
At the front the distance is 1 3/4" [1" overhang and 3/4" for the cabinet front facing]
Then you have to consider how to get to the sink clips.

Whats wrong with unscrewing the counter top and moving the c.top forward to cut this?

Mike

the countertop is actually not yet attached but you gave me an idea what if I move the c.top fwd and cut the back part from underneath?
i could probably get pretty good access from under the cab...

but if I slide it fwd not sure what that would do since backsplash is
still in the way?

I also think using the robya saw would work fine.

markusandrei 07-23-2012 10:20 AM

reply
 
if you have a strong grip, you may use an angle grinder with a thumb switch using a 4" circ. saw blade with a carbide tips. my advise is stop every 12" cut to avoid the blade to heat up due to the RPM of the grinder is too high. But it will do.

woody4249 07-23-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petros151 (Post 972392)
the countertop is actually not yet attached but you gave me an idea what if I move the c.top fwd and cut the back part from underneath?
i could probably get pretty good access from under the cab...

but if I slide it fwd not sure what that would do since backsplash is
still in the way?

I also think using the robya saw would work fine.

Pull the top out and put it on trestles, then cut from bottom side

mae-ling 07-23-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markusandrei (Post 972393)
if you have a strong grip, you may use an angle grinder with a thumb switch using a 4" circ. saw blade with a carbide tips. my advise is stop every 12" cut to avoid the blade to heat up due to the RPM of the grinder is too high. But it will do.


Very Very Dangerous, don't do it

epson 07-23-2012 10:36 PM

use one of these:
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...08b61ee1aa500e

petros151 07-25-2012 03:13 AM

ok I got it done NEVER AGAIN! ow what a pain to have to cut while the countertop is in place. I just did not have the room to easily do the cut off the cabs but if anyone is searching this topic wondering about it dont do it in place do it while the top is off and from underneath.

I DID use the suggestion of sliding the top off a bit and was able to cut the back using a jig saw from underneath and it worked just fine. Thanks for that fine idea. :thumbup:

woody4249 07-25-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woody4249 (Post 972399)
Pull the top out and put it on trestles, then cut from bottom side

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil has to be lead.
Wisdom is the reward for experience

Mike


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved