Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 309
Share |
Default

Odd size lumber


I am a fairly handy guy.

I also sometimes get in over my head.

I felt I wanted to say those things first!

Anyway, I am new here.

I am working on an old garage built in the 1920's.

Around the rough opening of the large door, there are some 1x4 3/8 boards that trim the rough opening to exactly 10 feet wide.

I need to replace the two side boards and the top board.

I haven't really ever done this, but my question is, can I just take a 1x6 and use my table saw to cut the board down to 4 3/8? I will need to run a full 7 feet on the sides and 10 feet on the top.

I am just looking for any tips!
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Odd size lumber


Confused just a bit and want to make sure.

You have pulled the trim off the door frame and now see the door frame itself right? The door and frame structure are fine and you just want to cut new trim to pimp it out and look pretty right? Old trim was rotting at corners or something? You are not talking about the 1920s real lumber members and the framing itself that actually frame the door?

Go for it. Cut the trim, nail it up and caulk it with anything but evil pure silicone.

What with. 10' is a bit of a span for a piece of trim. You will want to nail a 10' span an inch thick frequently along the span. If you can spring for it, I would use something like nice redwood, cedar, cypress or maybe one of the new synthetic materials since it is not structural.

Last edited by user1007; 09-06-2011 at 08:18 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 309
Default

Odd size lumber


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Confused just a bit and want to make sure.

You have pulled the trim off the door frame and now see the door frame itself right? The door and frame structure is fine and you just want to cut new trim to pimp it out and look pretty right? Old trim was rotting at corners or something? You are not talking about the 1920s real lumber members and the framing itself that actually frame the door?

Go for it. Cut the trim, nail it up and caulk it with anything but evil pure silicone.
Let me see if I can think of how to say this.

Most rough openings I have seen are made from 2x4s.

There is a 2x4 frame structure which is intact. So the rough opening is 2x4s.

THEN... around the 2x4s, which I guess also must actually measure 4 3/8, is a 1x4 3/8 board. It is like they were putting a veneer using 1 inch boards around the rough opening. Yes, the 1 inch veneer, for lack of a better word is rotten.

My main question is, is a table saw the right thing to use to trim a 6 inch board down to 4 3/8?

If I don't put this strange veneer board back in, the rough opening will be like 10 feet 2 inches wide and 7 feet 1 inch tall.

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 09-06-2011 at 08:22 PM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NY lower Hudson Valley
Posts: 202
Default

Odd size lumber


Sorry to hijack the thread but I saw the comment about evil pure silicone. I just bought a tube of pure white silicone to caulk windows that leaked during Irene. The other choice was acrylic with silicone. I haven't used it yet. What is wrong with pure silicone?
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Odd size lumber


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouseguy View Post
Let me see if I can think of how to say this.

Most rough openings I have seen are made from 2x4s.

There is a 2x4 frame structure which is intact. So the rough opening is 2x4s.

THEN... around the 2x4s, which I guess also must actually measure 4 3/8, is a 1x4 3/8 board. It is like they were putting a veneer using 1 inch boards around the rough opening. Yes, the 1 inch veneer, for lack of a better word is rotten.

My main question is, is a table saw the right thing to use to trim a 6 inch board down to 4 3/8?

If I don't put this strange veneer board back in, the rough opening will be like 10 feet 2 inches wide and 7 feet 1 inch tall.
Losing you now I think. Can you post a picture?

As for the tool to use to rip a 6" board down to 4 3/8" but by 10' long? I would turn to a table saw or a radial arm thing twisted with a good edge guard locked in place and friends holding the ends of the lumber as you pass the length along. Alternatively some saw horses would be nice.

Make sure you have a nice rip saw blade super sharp or a combo blade. This is just general advice. There was a combination sharpening shop and tax accounting place where I lived once. Never had them do my taxes but got hooked on dropping off drill bits, augers and saw blades. For like a buck each all mine cut perfectly. And my finds of things people forgot to pick up and were mine for like $2 is unbelievable.

Super sharp tools are the safest tools. And if you screw up the dull ones will take a hand off really fast without you having to explain to the emergency room why you have a Skil Saw stuck in your upper arm. Battery operated and still running.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
Not a Noob or Boob
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 109
Default

Odd size lumber


Quote:
Originally Posted by zircon View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but I saw the comment about evil pure silicone. I just bought a tube of pure white silicone to caulk windows that leaked during Irene. The other choice was acrylic with silicone. I haven't used it yet. What is wrong with pure silicone?
The only thing that I can think of is for painting. He is replacing trim so it will need to be painted. I don't even like the acrylic with silicone when painting. I usually get Painters Choice 100% Silicone FREE!!! If I am weatherproofing and will never paint, I use 100% Silicone. I try to stay away from the acrylic is it is going to be left exposed, it will shrink and does not stand up as well to the weather. Just my opinion!
Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 309
Default

Odd size lumber


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Losing you now I think. Can you post a picture?

As for the tool to use to rip a 6" board down to 4 3/8" but by 10' long? I would turn to a table saw or a radial arm thing twisted with a good edge guard locked in place and friends holding the ends of the lumber as you pass the length along. Alternatively some saw horses would be nice.

Make sure you have a nice rip saw blade super sharp or a combo blade. This is just general advice. There was a combination sharpening shop and tax accounting place where I lived once. Never had them do my taxes but got hooked on dropping off drill bits, augers and saw blades. For like a buck each all mine cut perfectly. And my finds of things people forgot to pick up and were mine for like $2 is unbelievable.

Super sharp tools are the safest tools. And if you screw up the dull ones will take a hand off really fast without you having to explain to the emergency room why you have a Skil Saw stuck in your upper arm. Battery operated and still running.
I can try to post a picture tomorrow, just to show you what I have obviously failed to describe!

I am very concerned about losing a hand, because I, oddly enough, was only born with two. The table saw I have has a nice edge guard that locks really nicely. It's an old school Craftsman that was my dad's.

I have been known to be deadly accurate with a 5 1/4 circular saw, but I can not go straight for ten feet, chalkline or not.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Texas
Posts: 162
Default

Odd size lumber


Sounds like to me you're either trying to make a door jamb or a cased opening out of 1x 6 ripped. We do it all the time if that's what you're trying to do.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 309
Default

Odd size lumber


Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Sounds like to me you're either trying to make a door jamb or a cased opening out of 1x 6 ripped. We do it all the time if that's what you're trying to do.
Ok, I agree that is what I am trying to do!!!

Is a table saw the best way then?
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Texas
Posts: 162
Default

Odd size lumber


Table saw has worked good enough over the last 40 years. Just take it slow and make sure the blade is sharp so you get a nice smooth cut. A palm sander can also give great results on rough cuts from a table saw if you need a real good surface.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 20,384
Default

Odd size lumber


Yes--use the table saw--rig up a long out feed table so the work piece is supported as it leaves the blade.

Kind of dangerous if you don't.
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
Rob1975 (09-07-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Odd size lumber


Like I think I said. Just have friends on the feed and tail end to support the 10 foot length.

You got this Bubba. Quit playing us.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 309
Default

Odd size lumber


I am sure everyone is frantic and wondering what happened!

After further inspection, the "jamb" concept posted above is exactly what I was building.

The 2x4 studs on the rough opening have a 4 3/8 board over them in order to sit flush against the clapboard siding for the outer trim around the garage door opening.

I pried it all off.

Used the trusty table saw to rip the 1x6's down to 1x4 3/8's

I really don't enjoy cutting boards down like that on a table saw, I was just hoping there would be some better way.

Using that freaking saw just seems like something that wants to take an arm off at some point. I took it slow, was using a very sharp blade and thankfully it was pretty easy.

I truly appreciate your responses!
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Odd size lumber


Nice work. You should respect the dangers of saws and fast spinning saw blades. You did it right.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 6,633
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Odd size lumber


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouseguy View Post
I am sure everyone is frantic and wondering what happened!

After further inspection, the "jamb" concept posted above is exactly what I was building.

The 2x4 studs on the rough opening have a 4 3/8 board over them in order to sit flush against the clapboard siding for the outer trim around the garage door opening.

I pried it all off.

Used the trusty table saw to rip the 1x6's down to 1x4 3/8's

I really don't enjoy cutting boards down like that on a table saw, I was just hoping there would be some better way.

Using that freaking saw just seems like something that wants to take an arm off at some point. I took it slow, was using a very sharp blade and thankfully it was pretty easy.

I truly appreciate your responses!
I know what you mean, I had a 3 HP shaper and running a 6 or 7 inch diameter cutter sounded like a blame jet warming up. The thoughts of my getting my fingers that close to that cutter was more than I was willing to do so I sold that sucker, end of story.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
14X14 pole barn, need lumber size. Ottawa, Canada Imageoguy Building & Construction 1 09-20-2011 07:07 PM
Lumber Quality Giles General DIY Discussions 1 01-15-2011 04:10 PM
Cheapest place to buy lumber - home improvement store or lumber supplier? J S Machine General DIY Discussions 23 01-13-2011 05:17 PM
big box stores only carry S-GRN lumber acerunner Building & Construction 7 11-20-2010 07:12 PM
Building a patio cover...span and size of lumber Q's jongordo8 Building & Construction 1 08-30-2009 12:08 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.