DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   odd size closet openings (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/odd-size-closet-openings-92469/)

packerfanatic 3 01-16-2011 10:26 AM

odd size closet openings
 
i have a closet with the size being 57 x 80 what can i do to put a closet door up? All my closets are that size

Joe Carola 01-16-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packerfanatic 3 (Post 571395)
i have a closet with the size being 57 x 80 what can i do to put a closet door up? All my closets are that size

That's the door rough opening?

Dwoodsmith 01-16-2011 11:42 AM

closet doors
 
80" is standard height. The openings were probably made for 5' bipass doors (sliders). They give full access, and are easy to install w/ no modifications.

Joe Carola 01-16-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwoodsmith (Post 571441)
80" is standard height. The openings were probably made for 5' bipass doors (sliders). They give full access, and are easy to install w/ no modifications.

80" is standard door height, not rough opening height.

Dwoodsmith 01-16-2011 12:08 PM

closet doors
 
closet doors slabs aren't quite 80". The whole outfit installs inside and under finished sheetrock. That's what I meant by no modificatoins. Even if 80" is rough framing, it's still tall enough for closet doors. Regular doors should have 82" rough opening. the 80" door slab plus the frame. Closet doors have no frame and are 'retrofit' after sheetrock. They are shortened so there's room for the hanger track at top and carpet at the bottom. All of it fits underneath 80"

Joe Carola 01-16-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwoodsmith (Post 571461)
closet doors slabs aren't quite 80". The whole outfit installs inside and under finished sheetrock. That's what I meant by no modificatoins. Even if 80" is rough framing, it's still tall enough for closet doors. Regular doors should have 82" rough opening. the 80" door slab plus the frame. Closet doors have no frame and are 'retrofit' after sheetrock. They are shortened so there's room for the hanger track at top and carpet at the bottom. All of it fits underneath 80"

I'm talking about Prehung doors. We don't know what the OP is talking about yet.

Dwoodsmith 01-16-2011 02:07 PM

Bipass doors are not prehung because they aren't hinged. Install, then trim to suit. If the homeowner wanted double swinging doors, the opening IS too small. Both ways. He would need a longer and higher header, and a wider r.o. -82"x62"

Joe Carola 01-16-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwoodsmith (Post 571550)
BipCloset doors have no frame and are 'retrofit' after sheetrock. Bipass doors are not prehung because they aren't hinged. Install, then trim to suit. If the homeowner wanted double swinging doors, the opening IS too small. Both ways. He would need a longer and higher header, and a wider r.o. -82"x62"

That's not true about bipass doors only being hung in sheetrock openings. I've only hung them a few times in sheetrock openings.

I know bipass doors aren't prehung. I've always install jambs first and then the door plus casing. Therefore the RO height has to be bigger than what he has. The width doesn't mater in his case because he can get smaller doors. That's if he's talking about bipass doors, what makes you think he is?

Tizzer 01-16-2011 02:48 PM

"Bi-Fold" doors here fit in a finished 80 inch opening. Maybe the OP can give a few details about what he wants.

Dwoodsmith 01-16-2011 04:08 PM

bifold doors would work on heighth too. I didn't mention them because they come as 5 footers. Since they don't 'pass' each other in the opening, I'm not sure 57" is wide enough. They might though, it would be worth taking a tape measure to the store to see. As far as 'casing' the opening, if you do it afterwards the casing helps hide the track and the edges of the doors. Plus no remodeling the opening.

Joe Carola 01-16-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packerfanatic 3 (Post 571395)
i have a closet with the size being 57 x 80 what can i do to put a closet door up? All my closets are that size

Is the opening sheetrocked or rough framing? That would clear up all the guessing going on here.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved