Oak Hand Rail On Existing Iron Stair Railing - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Oak hand rail on existing iron stair railing

1st Time newbie post here...checking in to see if anybody has had success or further input on wood capping existing interior wrought iron railings?

I think I can succeed in a victory on this project but was looking to see if anybody else has completed successfully?

Reason I think can do this is because I did successfully re-work my exterior front porch iron rails a few years back. I removed an existing curved 9 stair pair of railings then bent, cut and welded them to a pair 90 degree angled design railings, then sand blasted them and had them powdercoat black painted and anchored them into a new concrete porch and they turned out very nice

For the interior I'd like to reuse the exisiting wrought iron railing by capping the exisiting top and botton rails with a wood hand rail and wood bottom rail and if possible also capping the main bolster posts. Prior to the woodwork I plan to cut the exisitng scroll work from the vertical spindles
so vertical alternating square and twist spindles only remain, just to try and remove that dated scroll iron work look. Then like the exterior railings
I'd like sandblast/powdercoat black.

Prior to all of the above I definitley plan to research what is available in wood railing material to confirm this is a doable project, which I believe it is. The 3 main reasons we're trying to go this route is cost...as we've been quoted $2500.00 to $3500.00 for new wood/iron railings, 2nd creative uniqueness of having a custom design, 3rd the challenge of completing project like this successfully.

I worked up some possible price comparison estimates below although I'm not sure of the accuracy in new wood materials....

Any good or bad input here would be much appreciated, Thx! STS

Estimates on DIY cost vs. General Contractor install

General Contractor - $ 2500.00 - 3500.00

DIY
Sandblast iron - $250.00 350.00
Powdercoat - $350.00 - 550.00
Wood railings/misc. - $250.00 - 450.00
Total's $ $850.00 - 1350.00

Overall guess-timate of $ savings $1650.00 - 2150.00

Advertisement

SHREDTHESYSTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #2

is there any way you upload a pictura just to get an idea of what needs to be done i undestand what you are saying , but some times can be hard to picture it ,

Advertisement

01stairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #3

Thanks Stairguy, I'll snap some pics of existing raillings and upload, won't be for a day or so....
Old 03-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 604

I am not a fan of wrought iron railing on the indoors. I replaced mine with oak railing from one of the bix box stores, and it looked great. I had a heck of a time getting the newel post plumb ( Norm and Tommy Silva make it look so easy !! ) but otherwise it was pretty straightforward.

Steve
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #5

can you post some pics, is not that hard
Old 03-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #6

Hey guys here are some pics, sorry for delay to post working full time and preparing the room and hallway for new hardwood floor install next week has taken most of my days n nights this week.

Here's a few pics and I do have many more if you'd like to see different angles or close ups, thx, STS
Attached Thumbnails
Oak hand rail on existing iron stair railing-100_6674.jpg   Oak hand rail on existing iron stair railing-100_6670.jpg   Oak hand rail on existing iron stair railing-100_6679.jpg   Oak hand rail on existing iron stair railing-100_6689.jpg   Oak hand rail on existing iron stair railing-100_6691.jpg  

Oak hand rail on existing iron stair railing-100_6693.jpg  
Old 03-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #7

Here's a few pics of my front porch railings I reconfigured from full length curved sweeping original type porch/stairs to the new porch design/landing back in 2001 per my original post.

The powdercoat is still holding up very well on the railings however the powercoat have begun peel of off the cast mounting shoes from Menards. But not bad after 9 years of southern sun exposure and the extreme cold/heat temps of Chicagoland......
Attached Thumbnails
Oak hand rail on existing iron stair railing-steps-6-1.jpg   Oak hand rail on existing iron stair railing-steps-4-1.jpg   Oak hand rail on existing iron stair railing-steps-5-1.jpg  
Old 03-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #8

well good enough, first you need to select what type of hand rail you want. Make sure the buttom part of the hand rail is wide enough enough to creative a dado about 1 1/2 wide by 1/4 '' deep, if you dont have a table saw and a set of dado blades ,then you are gonna have to get it done at the shop where ever you are gonna buy it from , check with your local stair parts supplier, i did noticed that on the tap of the iron rails there is a small roun profil, it should not interfere.you may have to do some adjustments with the dado to get a nice fit. make sure you get enough railing , if in case you make a mistake,
Old 03-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #9

Thx stair guy, I'm going to attempt to locate some type of oak hand rails which I was hopefully going to find some with pre-cut grooves if I'm lucky.
Otherwise I may have to go to plan B with the table saw or jig n router.

I was also thinking maybe I'll just utilize the iron fence sections and cap the top rail and bottom rail then attach those sections to wood ballisters where ever there's a vertical post. I was thinking I could attach the individual capped iron fence sections to the wood ballister posts with short "L" brackets at the tops and bottoms of eachs section but use small brackets so they won't be visible so much. Well either way I appreciate your input and will follow with the out come of the project.
If I proceed with the building I'll be sure to take some pics during the process.
Thx! STS
Old 03-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #10

A couple of years ago, I purchased pre-finished oak stair treads from
http://www.bairdbrothers.com/
and was very pleased with the workmanship, the finishes, and the reasonable prices (even considering the freight charges). They make all sorts of stair parts - either pre-finished or not - and have various woods.

Just to give you an idea of the prices, the least I could find unfinished oak treads locally was about $34 per tread and finished they were about $70 each. I paid about $27 each plus shipping that brought the cost up to around $32 each for pre-finished.

Baird Brothers apparently has their own sawmill and is located in Amish country, which may account for their quality.

Good luck with finding the right handrail.

Advertisement

JaniceK is offline   Reply With Quote