Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Oak dust and polyurethane as a wood filler

Anyone have experience with mixing the fine wood dust created by finish sanding oak floors with polyurethane and using the mixture as a filler for floors? If so, advice on mixing ratios, please.

onthebrinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

i have heard of mixing the dust and wood glue but not poly.. i would imagine it would be like mixing up hotmud.. start with some dry dust and add poly until its thick enough to trowel around ?

jarheadoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebrinck View Post
Anyone have experience with mixing the fine wood dust created by finish sanding oak floors with polyurethane and using the mixture as a filler for floors? If so, advice on mixing ratios, please.
How big are the holes?
For small holes, I stain and poly, then fill the holes with the Minwax wax crayons. Wipe off the residue with a damp paint thinner rag. Works very well with finish nail holes.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #4

I'd be using this mixture primarily to fill the nail holes created when face nailing the borders and final boards where a mechanical nailer can't reach. I'd also fill minor end gaps and the occasional splintered edge.

I've used Elmer's wood fill in the past and had a tough time matching colors, and I've used Plastic Wood where the color may be closer but the stuff dries out so quickly. I recently tried the Rustoleum trowel-stuff which I very much like for color and workability, but it's a bit to 'liquidy' and required three fills for the nail holes.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebrinck View Post
I'd be using this mixture primarily to fill the nail holes created when face nailing the borders and final boards where a mechanical nailer can't reach. I'd also fill minor end gaps and the occasional splintered edge.

I've used Elmer's wood fill in the past and had a tough time matching colors, and I've used Plastic Wood where the color may be closer but the stuff dries out so quickly. I recently tried the Rustoleum trowel-stuff which I very much like for color and workability, but it's a bit to 'liquidy' and required three fills for the nail holes.
I've stated success in filling finish nail holes. You have not stated what size nails you're trying to fill. Face nailing does not tell us what nail size you were using.
This is critical to the advice given.
You have not responded to the solution that has been used in the past.
It would help if you processed the responces and reacted how closely they mimicked your situation.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #6

I face nail with 2-1/4" wood screw nails that are countersunk and result in a 3/16" diameter hole about 1/8" to 3/16" deep.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #7

Try the Minwax filler, if you don't like it, go back to the Rustoleum product. You might try building up the product in the hole, proud of the surface, so when it shrinks, it's closer to the floor plane.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

FWIW: I am using red oak to make new sills for the windows I am replacing in my house. In the shower of the master bath, there are two windows in the corner. I wanted a waterproof filler for the small joint where the two sill pieces join in the corner. I tried mixing fine oak dust with wood glue or polyurethane. Both gave OK results, but I got the best color match using Gorilla epoxy.

David

Jessidog is offline   Reply With Quote