Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Oak door frames delivered. Wrong size?

Hi all.

We have just ordered 13 new Euro oak rebated frames to replace our existing frames that house 1981 x 838 doors.

After fitting one of the frames I noticed that the carpet room edge strip was about 5mm wider than the door recess. I then tried one of our existing doors in the frame and it fits so snuggly in the frame with no gap whatsoever down the sides.

I rang the joinery company straight away to tell them that they had made the frames incorrectly. The manager told me no, they are correct and the doors need planing. I expressed why should new doors need 4-5 mm planing off them but do not know what is the normal thing that is done here as he told me this is always how frames are made.

Could anybody shed some light for me?

Mc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

If you ordered 838mm, you should have received 838mm. He had no way to know what size doors were sitting at your house. And, besides, all your existing doors might not all be the same size.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #3

Hi Willie.

Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, he came to our house and measured up.

Secondly as it was about 3 months between us placing the order and them actually starting the job I reminded them of the door size we were buying in anticipation they would make the frames to suit and not exactly the same size as the door. I did expect maybe they would make the frame 4mm? oversize

They are brand new doors we are having fitted and presume they will all be 838mm as they are being supplied by a large door manufacturer.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Oh..... well.... then it does begin to get a bit sticky.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 8

if its a larger manufacter i can see a misorder happening. the bigger companies deal in so much volume numbers get lost in the mix.. but trimming them down isnt that big a deal if you have a sharp saw blade and a hand plane nearly to clean up the cut
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

4-5mm shaved off the edges of a door amounts to a couple passes with a sharp hand or power plane on the hinge and door knob side. It is common to need to shave doors a bit to fit nicely in frames unless everything comes as a pre-hung unit. And, you can remove material but it is difficult to add it!

However, if you are certain they are not the size you ordered and you have more door than that stated you will need to trim then you have an issue. And when you say existing door, is it the same size as the new ones you ordered? Was the hinge still on it?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Haverhill Trade 1965

Did the frame maker give you a shop drawing, or order, with the sizes on them, and if yes, do they match the frame? Did you have the new doors available when they measured? I am assuming from your post the frame maker and the door supplier are different companies and you are not using the existing doors, correct.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies.

We are also having new doors to go in the new frames. The new doors are exactly the same width as the old ones (836mm).

The doors are coming from a door manufacturer and the frames made at a joiners.

They came to our house to measure up and were given the door width. I thought in giving them the door width they would allow a few mm on top to allow the door to move.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
Old School

Well, at least you do have the room now to cut, (or better yet, "plane"), a professional bevel on the lock side. Almost no one does it right these days, and it shows in most door installations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc100 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

We are also having new doors to go in the new frames. The new doors are exactly the same width as the old ones (836mm).

The doors are coming from a door manufacturer and the frames made at a joiners.

They came to our house to measure up and were given the door width. I thought in giving them the door width they would allow a few mm on top to allow the door to move.
Amazing how these plots thicken. I would never never never order jambs from one manufacturer, and doors from another, if I understand you correctly

If the doors do not fit after the manufacturers rep did the measuring, they need to make it right.

I also completely agree with the shop drawing issue. You should have gotten shop drawings to sign off on.

You should never have to plane a new door, IMO

Last edited by jagans; 06-19-2013 at 07:41 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-19-2013)